Forum

Notifications
Clear all

We has update!

Page 2 / 2
Rhapsody
(@rhapsody)
Eminent Member

Holy crap girls! Christmas came early!!!

I love the whole redo, thank you new team and wow, even a new version to be rolled out. Just amazing!

Grateful  :hug2: 's

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2014 9:37 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Closer to a delayed easter-egg, but thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/05/2014 10:21 pm
Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

Congratulations! Thank you to all involved - I know how much work this must've entailed and you've all done a splendid job.

Very much appreciated!

THANKS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2014 12:49 am
Kindred
(@kindred)

Nice job.

a few things..
1- Add "Questions" and get rid of the captcha. Captcha is useless against bots these days.  Several targeted questions (things other than "what color is the sky",  or "what is 2+4") do a much better job of keeping out the spambots.

2- nice job on the bad behavior mod 🙂

3- with a new release coming --  think about bridging to SMF (specifically 2.1, which is also coming soon and is available in alpha from github)

4- Is efiction 5 available on github or one of the other OS sites?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2014 4:05 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Glad to see the update. I'm still using WordPress with BuddyPress and bbPress to power the main site at my archive, with efiction powering the archive itself.
Hoping to save up enough to pay for an efiction plugin for WordPress, but til then will continue to use and support eFiction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2014 6:17 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Nice job.

a few things..
1- Add "Questions" and get rid of the captcha. Captcha is useless against bots these days.  Several targeted questions (things other than "what color is the sky",  or "what is 2+4") do a much better job of keeping out the spambots.

2- nice job on the bad behavior mod 🙂

3- with a new release coming --  think about bridging to SMF (specifically 2.1, which is also coming soon and is available in alpha from github)

4- Is efiction 5 available on github or one of the other OS sites?

1 - yes they may, good suggestion, but we have other tools in place to keep spammers at bay, also.

3 - bridging is not on the radar yet, but will definitely be a thing in the later stage

4 - not yet, once it becomes open for others to add content, I will have to look into this. I have never used any of these SVN systems before, so I am focusing on the project itself right now.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/05/2014 9:48 am
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

I was shocked to receive the email that the software was going to be updated.  But I am very happy!  I am using two add-ons, at least I think it's two. I forgot how to check to see if there is more.  It has been years since I installed it.....  I'm not that technical.  I know enough to get around, but that's about it.

I believe it was challenges, and also at the end of the story it said "The end.. Maybe?"  Or Not finished.  Anyone know what mod this was?

My other concern with the update is that I would lose my member database and all of our stories.  Also, will we still be able to post here for technical help? That is the only way I got through the last time.  I don't know what I would have done without Lyndsie.

"Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'"  - EAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2014 3:15 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

I was shocked to receive the email that the software was going to be updated.  But I am very happy!  I am using two add-ons, at least I think it's two. I forgot how to check to see if there is more.  It has been years since I installed it.....  I'm not that technical.  I know enough to get around, but that's about it.

I believe it was challenges, and also at the end of the story it said "The end.. Maybe?"  Or Not finished.  Anyone know what mod this was?

My other concern with the update is that I would lose my member database and all of our stories.  Also, will we still be able to post here for technical help? That is the only way I got through the last time.  I don't know what I would have done without Lyndsie.

Not entirely sure about the add-ons, but the update will all about making sure, everybody can keep his/her database and not lose one tiny bit. And sure, this will be the place to get help, nobody is left behind.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/05/2014 7:02 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Hoping to save up enough to pay for an efiction plugin for WordPress.

Rebecca Smallwood (original author of eFiction) has been working a WordPress plugin for some time. rebeccasmallwood.com for updates

Story End module.

Also, will we still be able to post here for technical help? That is the only way I got through the last time.  I don't know what I would have done without Lyndsie.

Aw, thanks. For some time there I was pretty dedicated and checking the forums daily, back in the early days of Tammy's diagnosis. I haven't been around as much in the last few years due to going through a series of transitions (moved across country, series of new jobs, got married, went back to school), but I have no plans to leave the community. I graduate in a month though, so the only thing taking up my time after that is getting a job and getting settled into it. I hope to become active in development.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2014 8:45 am
itanshi
(@itanshi)
Reputable Member

Wow

Good job everyone. I'll say more when i have free time.

I am rebuilding efiction! Join us on irc! #efiction at www.mibbit.com Instructions for irc 😀 Alpha released!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2014 6:25 am
Kathleen
(@kathleen)

aww, thank you so so so much, everyone!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2014 8:23 am
TinyxGumdrop
(@tinyxgumdrop)

Ah! Words cannot express how happy I am to see that the site and forum are looking so perfect! Thank you guys for your hard work. Ah, I feel like shedding tears!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2014 9:47 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Nice work, your software looks promising 😉

4 - not yet, once it becomes open for others to add content, I will have to look into this. I have never used any of these SVN systems before, so I am focusing on the project itself right now.

<smartass>
You should look into one of the versioning systems since they provide a very reliable net to catch you in case something goes awfully  wrong (disk crash, stolen laptop or simply deleted a very useful code snippet).
SVN is still widespread and has a very nice GUI for windows which makes it easy to handle.
More up to date is git (the first steps may be somewhat more complicated than SVN but it pays of in more features afterwards).
There are a lot more (bazaar, CVS, ...) but I think those two are the most common.

Another advantage is, that modern versioning systems allow you to get contributions (new features or bugfixes from others) and integrate them when you like them. Repository providers like github or sourceforge give you an issue tracker for all those feature requests and bugs. And last but not least, everybody (for public repositories) is able to see your progress which may prevent some of the "When is it done?" questions. There are good tutorials out there and I think in a day or two you can handle the most common cases of your choice versioning system.
</smartass>

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2014 5:59 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Your <smartass>'ing has been validated, discussed and is officially considered useful 😉

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/05/2014 6:14 pm
Azurite
(@azurite)
Estimable Member

Glad to see the update. I'm still using WordPress with BuddyPress and bbPress to power the main site at my archive, with efiction powering the archive itself.
Hoping to save up enough to pay for an efiction plugin for WordPress, but til then will continue to use and support eFiction.

I would SO jump in on a WordPress plugin/bridge for eFiction, so if you want others to help donate to that cause to get the plugin written, count me in.

Also: update is shiny and awesome! Yay!

Archive: Dragonfayth
eFiction: 3.5.5
Latest Patch(es): Yes
bridged?: No
modified?: Yes
PHP: 5.3.27
MySQL: 5.5.42-cll

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2014 12:25 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: