Notifications
Clear all

A few things I need to help you

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@christy)
Topic starter

Hi! I have been reading everyone (including my former webmaster who was a member) since 2007. I have three eFiction sites and they all need work.

So, I found Rebecca, again. (It was my site that she was guinea pigging for the WP conversion years ago.)

I'm going to pay Rebecca to update/upgrade my sites because eFiction is simply the best library system out there and I have freaking looked. I don't want to use something else. 

However, in my years of doing this, I have designed my own workarounds for issues. I know you all have, too. The point, though, is to actually fix all the things that are "difficult, clunky, rigid," and don't freaking work - but I don't remember what they were because I found a workaround or just made the thing go away. 

PLEASE, please give me a list of the stuff that doesn't work/security risks right out of the box, from earlier versions to what you have now. I will give her the list. I did look through here to start my list but i want to compare now, please.

I have gone through this forum in the hopes of gleaning a wish list as well. 

Help, please?

Christy
P.S. I have also, gleefully, taken on sites just to archive the work so if you can't take it anymore....

Posted : 12/12/2022 5:07 pm
(@jimmi)
Trusted Member

Hi, the best way to find your changes is by comparing your code with the official repo...

My starting point was 3.51.

- user with name holls91 updated TinyMCE to 4.5.3 and related header changes

- charset fix, 

- there were some mistypes ( dot instead plus in $_SESSION and other variables)

- case sensitive uLevel vs uLEVEL

- national characters issue

- subset in skin (Sommerbrise in my case)

- FROM header in emails - failing in spam, not sending emails

- hardcoded DB fields instead variables (bridge failed)

- ageconsent fix - mistype agecontsent vs agecontent

- $_SESSION key fix - $_SESSION['viewed'] instead $_SESSION[SITEKEY."_viewed"]

- characters in XML fix - changed the header

- missing closing tag in contact.php

I have a public repo with all those changes. Then I needed to rename some files to be able to use efiction and e107 forum on the same level (not in a subdirectory) without the bridge. Unfortunately, our needs were a bit different and without some demo data (from a real efiction database) I wasn't able to continue with any updates.  I hope that at least the list above will help you somehow. 

Posted : 13/12/2022 3:45 am
(@christy)
Topic starter

Thanks Jimmi! 

I am running 3.5.3 for all three of mine, which is odd since I thought we were on a bunch of different versions. Alas, it will be a mystery for the ages. 

I will take a look at the log, thanks so much!

Posted : 15/12/2022 4:02 pm
(@kaleidopy)
Eminent Member

I run two archives, both on version 3.5.5. Due to my outdated knowledge of php and mySQL, I know the archives are in need of work as well. When I have debugged on, nothing appears wrong, and there are no error messages. I know it's not what you asked, but if there's a chance Efiction can be saved, I will do whatever I can. I too love the efiction software.

Posted : 18/12/2022 9:00 pm
(@jimmi)
Trusted Member

@kaleidopy I know your message was for Christy, but I already offered help. Only thing I need is to have some database copy (with real data, but without sensitive data like emails or passwords).  Sorry, I am not able to edit my profile here - there is wrong website - so let me know any other way how to contact. Efiction has to be saved and there are plans to do it (with actual runner) so just fixing some stuff for time being can be solution.  

Posted : 19/12/2022 1:12 am
(@christy)
Topic starter

@kaleidopy oh, thank you! 

I am wondering how to convey that. Do you have anything more specific?

Posted : 19/12/2022 2:31 am
(@christy)
Topic starter

@jimmi what I am looking for is issues that seem endemic to eFiction. I am actually going to hand all of these over to Rebecca, the original writer of eFiction. The more the merrier! Thanks so much!

Posted : 19/12/2022 2:33 am
(@jimmi)
Trusted Member

For anybody with interest:

this is a copy of 3.5.5 documentation (just copied docs folder)

https://docs.e107sk.com/efiction-3-5-5/

It is a courtesy of gitbook to have it running for free so it will stay there.

This is a repo with some changes:

https://github.com/e107-eFiction/efiction_v3_stable/

It is just a fork of the official repo with some fixes. 

Posted : 19/12/2022 2:41 am
Share: