Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Status report

Page 2 / 5
Francesco R. Di Caprio
(@xtramalt)

Actually, handling the 2 different storage engines proved easier than I expected.

Yes, especially if you want to keep the storage engine irreversible as it is now.  😀

I never understood the absence of a conversion script files<->db, and the reason is very simple. I can bet the 80% of eFiction sites all around the world are hosted on shared hosting plans, and only remaining 20% is hosted on VPS/Dedicated/Cloud services. I've seen so many archives reaching their limit of DB connection/query or their I/O limit due to CPU overload. This not because of the incompetence of their webmasters (not always, at least), but because of the unclear policy of the majority of hosting providers when they say "unlimited".

Anyway, you're already covering a huge generation gap, so... RESPECT!  :cool2:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2014 11:14 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Without saying too much, let's say I am keeping some things back for later releases, not because they are not important, but because they are large to an amount that would delay the initial release even further down the road, and I am already way behind all of my schedules.

But yes, there will be the possibility to switch from file-based to database storage and back (sort of, there will not be file-based storage, I am looking at the performance of SQLite, which is a locally stored database emulation with the advantage of having a php native driver, so it resides in your local web directory but can be accessed like a regular database server, which means it's transaction safe and will require little to none additional work once implemented.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2014 11:55 pm
jetblack
(@jetblack)
Eminent Member

Any updates since November, Sheep? 🙂

-- jb

Archive: Ad Astra Star Trek Fanfiction Archive
Version: 3.5.3
Skin: One of Kali's, but I'm not sure.  It's been heavily modded.
PHP: 5.0
MySQL: 5.5

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2015 12:02 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Yes, currently doing something I should have done long ago, doing proper documentation of the classes and interfaces, because honestly, that was one heck of a mess.
Check http://efiction.org/wiki/Main_Page for proof 😉

My RL job has me caught quite bad lately, there's promotion involved, but also more stuff to do.

BUT, having to take a break helped me take a step back and see the picture from a better angle, and now I am eager to putting that to code and make things work.

More to come, and sorry for keeping you all waiting.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/03/2015 3:34 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

So, finally getting the project moving again, as stated in the last post, my recent job advancement has not helped advancing the project, but I think a few more hours an spring clean is done.

Q: Why clean instead of moving forward?
A: Because a lot of things I did in the beginning, that entirely made sense at that point, were giving me an increasing amount of pain the further the project was going.

Q: Examples?
A: The database engine was only set to handle MySQL, and when I was getting to the issue of local stories, there was no easy way of handling SQLite. Another thing was classes that were used in a rather cryptic way, naming was arbitrary and so on.

Any more questions, feel free to post here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/03/2015 9:42 pm
JRCDyer
(@jrcdyer)

Hi, and sorry! I've been trying to figure out where to post this question about eFiction 5.0, but couldn't figure out the appropriate place, but you asked for questions, so I chose here 😀

Will 5.0 be released to developers before and official release? I've been working on skin/theme designs for eFiction and would like to have them ready by the time this release comes out.

By the way, I think you should name eFiction 5.0 { Phoenix }. It's being reborn from the ashes, after all.  :idea1:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/03/2015 2:41 am
erceyazici
(@erceyazici)

Hey sheepy, any updates?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2015 12:46 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Yes-ish, work is continuing, although real life, especially some really mean on job training I am currently receiving is slowing things down.

One thing is, I finally found a name for the initial release, which is a mean joke on my expense to some extent.
I will update the status post right after this to keep things in one place - bear with me, it will arise, despite the name 🙂

Add:
Changes in recent status are:
- Story/News reviews have been retracted, the entire way they were handled was bad, story was lots of AJAX which is hardly barrier free. Plus what I had done so far wasn't solid anyway ...
+ Admin panel hase moved on, most things are finished, are working and should make some sort of sense.
+ Chapter management has been entirely reworked since it did not behave very well, now it has become smarter.
+ Various other stuff.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/06/2015 12:06 am
muhkuh
(@muhkuh)
Eminent Member

Love the name!  :laugh:
Hope its gonna be GitWare soon too, so one may lend a helping hand. 😉
Wouldn't that also be fine as a 'first patch' name?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/06/2015 1:03 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

As hard as I try, I just don't git it ...  :bye2:

Today saw the user registration come to life, I could not yet entirely test the anti-spam feature, but it appears to work. Activation mail us ugly as can be, but it works, and that's good enough for this stage.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/06/2015 3:56 am
muhkuh
(@muhkuh)
Eminent Member

As hard as I try, I just don't git it ...  :bye2:

Herpaderp!!!
65 WATS?!
No seriously... You dont know how much I'd love to teach you how to git for the whole purpose to help out and let the community join in :sad1:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/06/2015 1:50 am
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

@Muhkuh, I'll sure get back to you - might hit me on PM, let me know how/when you could hook me up on that thing.

Status update: Job training is soon coming to an end, last months had me pretty wired and I will be a bit wired until end of september when the final exam is done. So summer hasn't benn overly productive, but I am currently going through the whole story add/edit/moderate thing, maybe one of the most important modules, and I had to totally redo the first version, because the code was so messy, and I mean like even worse than my usual bodging 😉

Now it is finally moving in the right direction, the curator part is done, only a little tool on the side, but it was a good way to check the new structure.
Once this is done, there will be a first release of the software, but I am limiting the audience somwehat, because this will be more of a platform check than a beta phase.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/08/2015 2:51 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

How are things going?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2015 10:40 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

How are things going?

I am currently patching up the installer to handle more scenarios and better guide users through the process of upgrading from version 3.5.x, including the possibility to actually change, where and how story chapters are stored, something that was never possible before.
This will be the first thing being released as a test, as this will give a decent insight into whether or not data handling will work on different servers. I am just 5 days from having a major leave form work (finally, after a 7-month training course), so this should be done by late October.

Depending on the outcome, I will either hate to fine-tune the main code or take stuff back to zero, we'll see ...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/10/2015 9:35 pm
Tsukasa
(@yuidirnt)
Eminent Member

Any news?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2016 12:07 pm
Page 2 / 5
Share: