Clear all

Sub-categories not showing up

36 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
13.3 K Views
(@rhapsody)
Eminent Member

Our users have been experiencing this problem, but only in IE. I uploaded the updated javascript.js but it doesn't appear to have fixed the problem.

I have the same upgraded from 3.4.3 to 3.5.1 (this afternoon), in IE 8 it doesn't show the subcategories and in Google chrome I even can't get the main cat selected and placed in the box on the right. In Firefox it works like a charm. And yes I put the most recent javascript version where Tammy links to.

When trying to see what happens in Google chrome, it says: uncaught exception ReferenceError: resetCats is not defined

Perhaps this helps?

Posted : 19/05/2009 12:18 pm
(@dawn-felagund)

This was a problem for us as well. I just updated from 3.5 to 3.5.1 to fix some bugs, and everything worked fine except that, in Internet Explorer, the subcategories stopped showing up on the story submission form.

I found this thread elsewhere:

https://efiction.org/forums/index.php?topic=7048.0

And tried replacing includes/categorylist.php with the older version from 3.5. I just tested it again in IE, and it is working fine. I don't know if it will cause any problems further down the line; I will update if it does. In the meantime, I hope it is helpful to someone. πŸ™‚

Posted : 09/06/2009 12:21 am
(@itanshi)
Reputable Member

heh, dawn, if you did that, 22% of the market that uses firefox might have issues, bu then again that's if they are mods, so it might be ok. I'm not sure of all the changes made between versions.

I am rebuilding efiction! Join us on irc! #efiction at www.mibbit.com Instructions for irc πŸ˜€ Alpha released!

Posted : 09/06/2009 6:39 pm
(@dawn-felagund)

I use Firefox and just checked the site, and it works fine for me. In any case, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only admin that uses Firefox; one of the reasons that I was really desperate for a fix for this bug! πŸ™‚

Posted : 09/06/2009 10:15 pm
(@rhapsody)
Eminent Member

This was a problem for us as well. I just updated from 3.5 to 3.5.1 to fix some bugs, and everything worked fine except that, in Internet Explorer, the subcategories stopped showing up on the story submission form.

I found this thread elsewhere:

https://efiction.org/forums/index.php?topic=7048.0

And tried replacing includes/categorylist.php with the older version from 3.5. I just tested it again in IE, and it is working fine. I don't know if it will cause any problems further down the line; I will update if it does. In the meantime, I hope it is helpful to someone. πŸ™‚

Dawn, thanks so much for the suggestion, I can open and select the subcategories now, however it doesn't pull the characterlist from the database to choose from... in IE8 that is. Thank goodness it still works in Firefox... so hmmm, something is still off. I also replaced characterlist.php from the 3.5 version, but even that is not working. What a mystery!

Posted : 13/06/2009 8:24 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

In IE8 try using the compatibility view button and see if it works then. It looks like a broken page button that sits between the Refresh and the Address field, but if you don't see it you may have to click on PAGE->Compatibility Views and add your website to that list.

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

Posted : 14/06/2009 5:35 pm
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

I'll be adding a fix for this to the SVN on Monday.

Posted : 20/06/2009 2:12 am
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I've had users complaining of this problem in IE 8. They've actually been able to add locked top-level categories to their fics, which becomes problematic when the mods go to validate and get an error. I updated my test site with the files from the SVN and it changed the way categories work a little bit during story submission (added the warning about 'this is a locked category'), but I can't check in IE 8 because it's not working on this PC (I just upgraded and for some reason it's not loading any pages). Anyway, the weird thing is that on my live site I made the same changes and absolutely nothing happened (and I copied-pasted through cPanel file manager and used FTP multiple times). They both have the exact same modifications done to them; the only difference is my test site is at PHP 5 and the live site at PHP 4 (see sig).

It's highly possible I'm missing something here since it's so late. I'll look at it tomorrow and see if I get different results. For right now I'm just super confused.

Posted : 09/07/2009 5:10 am
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Clear your cache.  It was a java script issue and if the old script is cached it'll stlil have the old problem.

Posted : 28/07/2009 6:24 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I tried that but I'm still seeing the discrepancy. My IE 8 is working now, and all the categories are working properly on the story submission forms, which is really what matters anyway.

The live site still has the issue of disappearing subcategories in Admin > Categories in IE 8 and FF 3, when the test site doesn't. I'm not sure if that's meant to be helped by the file from the SVN or if I might have at some point done another fix for it. I have no memory of that, but I make a lot of changes to the test site that don't necessarily make it to the live one.

Posted : 28/07/2009 7:01 pm
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

There's another fix for that earlier.  Try going back to around version 6 in the SVN.

Posted : 28/07/2009 8:13 pm
(@drumy)
Eminent Member

I had this problem with IE6, but I don't have with Chrome and FF 3.5.1  πŸ˜•
URL to your eFiction: http://drumynet.x10hosting.com/fanscreativos/fcen/index.php
Version of eFiction: 3.5.1 (with SVN updates includes)
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?: no
Version of PHP: can be found out from your host: 5.2.10
Version of MySQL: can be found out from your host: 5.0.81-community
Do you have a test account for us? Yes  User:Efiction  Password:test  and you can create owner because this page is for test purpose

Posted : 28/07/2009 10:14 pm
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Do as I said and go back to around version 6 in the SVN and apply all changes more recent.

Posted : 28/07/2009 10:16 pm
Jan_AQ
(@jan_aq)
Noble Member

Can someone please give us an update on this issue and if it is now working? Thank you. πŸ™‚

Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.

url: https://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction
php: 7.4.33 msql: 5.6.51-community GPL
efic version: 3.5.5 latest patches: yes
bridges: none mods: challenges, tracker, story end, beta, word

Posted : 23/11/2009 8:23 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

It works properly if the updated files are downloaded from the SVN. I assume it'll be in the next release.

Posted : 23/11/2009 10:18 pm
Page 2 / 3
Share: