Topic starter

URL to your eFiction: www.twiwrite.net
Version of eFiction: 3.5.2
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?: Yes with wordpress
Version of PHP: 5.2.12
Version of MySQL: 5.0.77
Have you searched for your problem: Yes
If so, what terms did you try: Contact, contact form, Internet Explorer/9
Do you have a test account for us? Yes, I can leave info if you need it.

I've searched around and haven't seen anything else on this so I thought I'd ask instead.

Internet Explorer 9 does not work with my site. Period. The authors can't submit stories, none of the pop-ups come up, and now the contact us form send through blank text where the email body should be. All other browsers work just fine. I've had several of my members, along with myself do extensive testing with trying to use these features with just about every browser and every feature. Every time, the problem is IE9.

Does anyone know why this might be or how to fix it? Surely this can't just be an issue with my site alone? Is anyone else having these issues as well? I searched some of the Microsoft forums and other sites and it appears that this is becoming a common problem with IE9. I've sent out emails and made blog posts on our WP attached blog, but not everyone reads this.

Is there anything I can do, or anything that I could have done to cause this issue. I have a few mods installed and the only other changes I've done is add some blocks to a few of the skins (I think they're called something else besides blocks, but they go in the place that some of them do on the sidebars, like affiliates and a donate button)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
Iz

http://www.twiwrite.net
Where Your Imagination Can Run Free
18+ TwiWrite Fan Fiction Archives.
efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2
Happily soaking up any and all php, tpl, and html knowledge I can.

Posted : 01/08/2011 4:56 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

IE-9 breaks a lot of websites. What happens if you click the compatibility view tab at the top of the screen (It looks like a torn page between the search and fresh buttons. Doe it help in any way?).

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

Posted : 01/08/2011 5:05 pm
(@izdoodle)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Honestly, I don't use IE, I'm a Chrome/Firefox girl myself. But I do have in on my computer for testing. The site itself looks fine, well, to me at least, and the members who've helped me with testing. When I clicked the compatibility button, however, it distorts the layout of the page. My main issues so far have been no one can post stories and the contact form sends blank emails. The part at the bottom of the email that states it was sent from my site and the username comes through, but the email text itself doesn't show up at all.

efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2

Posted : 01/08/2011 5:33 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

I seem to recall someone else here on the board was having a similar problem. I think someone came up with code to add to the pages. You might have to do a bit of searching. I think this popped up about three or four months ago.

Now running v.3

Posted : 01/08/2011 5:52 pm
(@izdoodle)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Really!  πŸ˜€ I'll search again. I feel like I've exhausted every search option so far, but I'll dig deeper. Thanks for the help.

I also was just informed that the iPad has issues too, but I have no idea why. Some days things run so smoothly and others I want to cry.  πŸ˜₯ lol

Thanks again for your suggestion.

efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2

Posted : 01/08/2011 6:42 pm
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

I seem to recall someone else here on the board was having a similar problem. I think someone came up with code to add to the pages. You might have to do a bit of searching. I think this popped up about three or four months ago.

We've been having this issue for months as well and we've never found a solution, nor have I found anything on the board, unfortunately.  πŸ˜₯

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

Posted : 04/08/2011 12:37 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

I also did a quick search and couldn't find answers either. Maybe I was just half-remembering that folks were having this issue. Ah Microsoft how we love thee. If it's any consolation IE9 seems to screw up other sites also. My brother-in-law's company use the professional Google Docs suite and it behaves badly on IE9.

Now running v.3

Posted : 04/08/2011 12:52 pm
(@izdoodle)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I found similar stuff, but nothing that related to this issue. I have received lots of feedback saying that IE9 isn't working with a lot of businesses and even my host stopped using them, which is why they couldn't find the problem initially. It wasn't until I had some of my members doing feedback that I realized that IE9 was the factor. It's very annoying, and although I've sent out an email to everyone about the issue with posting, I've decided not to do that again. We have 5500 members and that's way too much on our server to send them out. I'm just going to put messages up on the News page, Help, Rules and TOS to try to make as many people aware of the issue as possible. It's the best we can do right now. I know it's not a site issue, so there really isn't anything we can do I guess.

Thanks for your help, ladies. I'm just relieved I didn't break something.  πŸ˜€ Heaven knows I mess around enough to do so. Good luck!

efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2

Posted : 04/08/2011 12:58 pm
(@michelle)
Estimable Member

This is the thread you're looking for (you're not imagining things *g*): https://efiction.org/forums/index.php?topic=7889.0

The issue persists and I'd call it a bug. So this thread should probably be moved. The only solution I know of so far is switching to another browser. But it's a pain. I've had users lose reviews and mails over this, because they wrote, they posted and nothing came up. Frustrating.

Posted : 04/08/2011 5:55 pm
(@michelle)
Estimable Member

*bumps*

Could this maybe be moved to bugs?

Posted : 12/08/2011 6:39 pm
(@michelle)
Estimable Member

Sorry for replying to my own posts, bad form:(

But I've done a little more digging (actually googling) and I think I've found the problem: TinyMCE. I upgraded to the newest version and had some of my IE9 users test it. So far it seems to work. Messages and reviews are coming through.

Posted : 14/08/2011 9:16 am
(@izdoodle)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That's great! I wondered if that was the problem. I had a few people test out reviewing from their mobile phones and the only way it would work is if you turned TinyMCE off.

Unfortunately, when I tried updating the TinyMCE  it made everything stop working, so I put the old one back in. It wouldn't even show up under the editor box. I had been hoping to add spell check to it but I couldn't get anything to work at all.  πŸ˜• Maybe I'll try to update it again. I probably did something wrong anyway. Thank goodness for the test site.  πŸ˜† Thanks for the update.

efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2

Posted : 14/08/2011 6:02 pm
(@michelle)
Estimable Member

The upgrade was actually quite easy - I just exchanged the new folder for the new one. That was easier than I had anticipated.

But now I have an IE9 user for whom it still won't work. She's still getting the same error as before and reviews won't save. Argh, and it had been looking so good:(

Posted : 14/08/2011 6:16 pm
Share: