Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Giving site a complete facelift and overhaul

Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

Over the last few months, I've been working on creating a responsive template for my site (which is nearly done).

However, now I'm wondering whether I should take this opportunity to add some functionality to the site. Currently, the only option I have when a new story is added is "Rating".

Among other things, I've been adding proper class names to appropriate divs etc in anticipation of adding the site to the list that works with JimmXinu's excellent Calibre plugin "FanfictionDownloader" (which adds stories to your Calibre library in whatever format you require, epub, mobi etc). Anyway, this got me thinking about metadata such as Categories, Genre, Characters etc which is also captured by the plugin.

My plan would be to migrate the current content into the "new" site but I'm not sure about what impact adding the extra options would be (the site needs to be migrated because to create the responsive theme with appropriately named divs, I had to edit not only the traditional skin information but also LOTS of the other efiction files).  As a side note, it'll be interesting how the new EF4 config gets around these issues.

Also, I'm not totally sure how to go about this. Would anyone care to share what Categories/Genres/ etc they use?

Topic starter Posted : 16/02/2013 4:12 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You can see mine here: http://dracoandginny.com/browse.php

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 10:46 pm
itanshi
(@itanshi)
Reputable Member

That sounds like an epic task. Please  stick around the forums. I'll have an alpha build of the new script in about 15 days.

I am rebuilding efiction! Join us on irc! #efiction at www.mibbit.com Instructions for irc 😀 Alpha released!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2013 2:38 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I can't wait to get my hands on the alpha build.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2013 5:43 am
Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

I can't wait to get my hands on the alpha build.

Me too! I started doing my "refresh" months ago and now that it's 95% done, it's about to be made redundant LOL.

Thanks for the link, Lyndsie - what a great site.

I still haven't totally decided on what to include, but someone suggested to follow the AO3 model. Decisions, decisions.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/02/2013 10:05 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Eh, some of our stuff like categories are artifacts from previous versions of eFic. The site has been on it since 1.1 (possibly 1.0, before my time). So we did a lot of hacky / workaround things that have had to persist - so I guess my suggestion is think it through! Which you are doing. : D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2013 9:18 pm
Share: