Clear all

Advertising Block

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@blackorchid34)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am trying to edit one of the blocks on my index page to show affiliates banners. I not sure how to edit the content. The block is where my site news part was. I replaced it with this. Can anyone help?

Posted : 22/08/2009 2:48 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

For something like that I don't think you would need an actual block. Instead you can fake it. News block may be a little different, but follow the same div or table structure as the other blocks use for their titles and contents and just put like your own title (instead of {blockname_title}) and then the img src tags (instead of {blockname_content}).

This is what I've done for my site (dracoandginny.com) - the "block" is towards the bottom.

Posted : 22/08/2009 4:32 pm
(@blackorchid34)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Great idea..thank you

Posted : 22/08/2009 4:44 pm
 CTW
(@ctw)

I have just started a new efiction site and would also love to have an affiliates block.  Since I'm php illiterate, are there step-by step instructions on how to do this work around?

Posted : 24/02/2010 2:22 am
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You don't have to know PHP. You just have to edit your skin(s): index.tpl. That's HTML/CSS.

Posted : 24/02/2010 2:24 pm
 CTW
(@ctw)

Thanks so much. I didn't understand (and still mostly don't) how all this is organized.  Once you pointed me to that index.tpl in my skin folder I've been able to successfully move my blocks around!

I'm using my News block as an Affiliates block, and have tacked my news onto the end of my welcome block.  That should work out nicely.

This has been a very steep learning curve for me but I'm figuring it out - slowly.

Posted : 26/02/2010 9:00 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You should check out the skinning documentation. Here's a good place to start: https://efiction.org/wiki/index.php5?title=Creating_Skins_for_3.0

Posted : 26/02/2010 10:43 pm
(@BlackFalcon)
New Member Guest

Could I use Javascript to rotate banners? I have multiple banners, and I was wondering if I could use Javascript to rotate them.

Posted : 11/06/2012 4:35 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Yes, I believe it's already been done. There should be a thread about it hanging out somewhere.

Posted : 12/06/2012 12:35 am
(@twifanuk)
Eminent Member

I have created a fake block on index.tpl ( http://www.gigglesnort.net/fiction/index.php) for a advert banner above the categories list. How would I set it so the banner appears on every page as you can with proper blocks?

Posted : 01/07/2012 9:09 am
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

You have to put it in the header or footer if you want it to show on every page OR you need to add it to browse, user, default, storyindex, viewstory tpl files as well.

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

Posted : 01/07/2012 10:24 pm
(@BlackFalcon)
New Member Guest

Just a friendly piece of advice:

If you are using Adsense, the TOS forbids ads on registration pages.

Posted : 03/07/2012 2:44 am
Share: