Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] New Admins

Page 1 / 2
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

Hi everyone!

I just wanna let you guys know that I have just adopted the domain from Jacci.
There will be a lot of changes that come a long with the adoption of the domain. My husband - who will introduce himself as soon as he finds the time - has been (and still is) working on a new version of efiction for almost a year now. At first we wanted to create a completely new script (as for there haven't been any updates or bugfixes for years on efiction 3.5) and share it under a new name. But now we do have the amazing opportunity to simply publish his script under the name you all know. 🙂 I don't do php, but I love css. My hubby is just the opposite. 😀 So we are kind of a perfect match. And banshee jumps in as our ambassador. She'll also be our first beta tester as soon as the new version is ready for it.

So, don't panic if the board suddenly changes from look and structure. I feel like I have to clean up the board, since a lot of topics are obsolete and outdated for years.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. 😉

My Hub TrekNation | World of X | Capeside Diaries

Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2014 4:15 pm
SJP
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

Hi Nadia,

Thanks for picking up the torch here (and jacci, thanks for getting it back up and keeping it going in the interim). I'm glad you and your husband are working on updates to efiction since it has been so long since any official ones have come out. Are you all building on the foundation or the existing efiction (i.e. Template Power based), or are you working on something totally new? Any hints on what kinds of changes to the script you'll be adding in? My efiction site is pretty heavily modded, so I'm curious what mods I can carry over if there's a new efiction version.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2014 6:27 pm
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

Basically we only keep the databases. Everything will be new.
What kind of mods are you using?

I do have some mods installed myself that I don't wanna lose. Recs and challenges for example...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2014 6:59 pm
SJP
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

Off the top of my head, here are the bigger things I've modded/added (I should probably keep better track of this stuff 🙂 )...  I'm using the ePub download mod that's available here, I've modified the tracker mod to keep track of the last chapter read, I have a mark as read option that notes which story a user has read, I have a detailed beta reader list, I modded reviews to allow for a threaded conversation between the reviewer and author, I added a section on the submissions page that allows admins to post notes to other admins about a chapter that's in the validation queue, I added an additional spam test on registration, and I just added a private message feature.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2014 7:14 pm
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

Oh wow, you've been busy.^^

Well, we have planned bookmarks (story and chapters). PMs. Add friends. Make favs public, friends locked or private.

We didn't think of betareaders, but I just checked out your archive and I love what you've done there. 😀 Great idea!

Download stories as epub is also planned, but not yet done.

Something like a 'mark as read' was also kind of and idea of my husband. I remember that he said something about a tracker.

To have conversations (via reviews) is also already planned. Since I always hated that I couldn't answer to an authors answer and so on.

I think we can manage to save your betareaders mod in a way. I like it. 😀 I'll talk to my hubby asap. He has some crappy shifts this week. But I'll see what we can do. 😀

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/04/2014 7:32 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

This is good news. I've tried a couple of times to get people together to work on updating the script, but life always gets in the way. Going back to school will do that! I haven't heard from itanshi in a while.

Let me know if you need help with anything. I am still running an archive and can test, etc. I could also potentially contribute to code, although I won't have much time until after I graduate in mid-June.

PM me if you want to chat about anything. : ) Also, a question. Is it possible to fix the wiki? There's a lot of good information in there for people running 3.0.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2014 7:53 am
Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

Fabulous news, Nadia.

Thank you so much for taking this on. It's a big project, but so many sites use eFiction (a credit to all the developers so far) that it would be a shame for it to not continue.

Just as a comment about the ePub converter...personally, I think the better option is to just get your (general 'your') added to the marvellous "FanfictionDownloader" plugin for Calibre. I'm currently trying to write an adaptor for my site.  That way, most of the ebook types can be handled without getting your hands dirty 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2014 8:53 am
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

To be honest, I have never worked with Wiki. I don't know why it's not working any more. But I can try to find out. 🙂

Thank you, Sue. 🙂 As for the ePubs, I just want to be able to snag a stories as easy at it is on AO3. 😀 I never got along with Calibre, but we will check out every possibility.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/05/2014 11:55 am
babaca
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

Congrats Nadia,

You and your husband are up for a lot of work ahead. I look forward to the new efiction. But I've been so bad about doing anything with efiction. Hopefully new blood will inspire. 🙂

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2014 2:00 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

To be honest, I have never worked with Wiki. I don't know why it's not working any more. But I can try to find out. 🙂

My guess is that the server got updated to a newer version of PHP and/or mysql and the mediawiki install only works with a previous version. I'd bet it's a couple of years out of date.

Do you have access to the stuff on the server? Jacci did not so there was nothing we could do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2014 8:06 am
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

@babaca: Yeah, it's a lot of work. But I'm hopeful that we'll manage. 🙂

@Lyndsie: Unfortunately I don't have access to the server as well. I send Carissa an email. But after jacci waited more or less forever to get the files, I don't have much hope here. We probably might only be able to save the forum and start everything else from scratch. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/05/2014 8:58 am
babaca
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

Nadia,

I'd be happy to help although programming is really not my thing. The other site you might need to work on is the SVN archive. The link on the forum is http://efiction.svn.sourceforge.net but it takes you to http://sourceforge.net/projects/efiction/
The actual svn stuff is here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/efiction/code/HEAD/tree/

On the forum the link also doesn't work because the link has quotation marks in it.

I hope you get the wiki server info. Because I bet Lyndsie is correct. The software is probably out of date and the php server got upgraded.

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2014 5:59 pm
Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

Thank you, Sue. 🙂 As for the ePubs, I just want to be able to snag a stories as easy at it is on AO3. 😀 I never got along with Calibre, but we will check out every possibility.

• If you get the mysql file of the wiki contents (and what sort of wiki it was) I could probably resurrect it for you and upgrade to the latest version (or port it to a new wiki type if required). I've just done a similar thing with something Trek related.
  • I know it's not the place for a "nuts & bolts" discussion, but having the a site added to the fanfictiondownloader stable is much easier than adding a plugin and then having to maintain it. I've done both and I'd go with someone else doing the work every time.  😎

(and I'm shocked that you don't like Calibre - I'm an evangelist for it!!!).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2014 10:12 am
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

and I'm shocked that you don't like Calibre - I'm an evangelist for it!!!

I'm a fan of the epub download they offer over at AO3 ... I don't like to use external progs to get my fav stories downloaded as epub. I'm lazy.  :blush:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/05/2014 1:29 am
SJP
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

and I'm shocked that you don't like Calibre - I'm an evangelist for it!!!

I'm a fan of the epub download they offer over at AO3 ... I don't like to use external progs to get my fav stories downloaded as epub. I'm lazy.  :blush:

I do like Calibre, and I use it to store my ePub and mobi files. However, I too like the ease of having an on site ePub download function. For me, the less steps the better. It's not as big of a deal with my Kindle since I have to get my laptop involved to load the file anyway, but sometimes I read on my phone, and I love being able to get the file into iBooks with one click.

I use the ePub mod that Piper (I think?) created, which can be found here. It took quite a while to install it properly, and once I got it installed, I had to do a few modifications to get it working the way I wanted. However, I feel like it was worth it since the readers on my site use it frequently. At this point, we are used to it, and would miss the functionality if it was gone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2014 1:41 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: