Notifications
Clear all

Wiki integration?

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

URL to your eFiction: www.catchn.net
Version of eFiction: 3.5.1
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?: Nothing - although I'd LIKE to bridge with both a wiki and some forum software (just haven't figured out how to do it seamlessly yet)
Version of PHP: can be found out from your host Not sure
Version of MySQL: can be found out from your host Not sure
Have you searched for your problem: yes
If so, what terms did you try: "wiki integration" and "revision history

Has anyone integrated a wiki or some sort of revision tracking program into their eFiction site? I'd love to be able to keep track of the revisions people make to their stories, and preferably have any revisions kicked back into the admin review queue when they're made. At the moment, I have things set up so that stories cannot be modified after they're submitted/approved. I'd like to open it up for people to take constructive criticism and revise their work, but I'd also like the previous versions to be viewable (through links on the side of the page or some basic wiki functionality), so readers can see how the story's evolved.

Has anyone done this? Or do you have suggestions of how I could set up this functionality? My coding skills are frightfully rudimentary, but I'm willing to learn, especially if someone is willing to use very small words to explain it  to me.

Thanks!

Posted : 09/11/2009 4:39 am
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Moving this to the MODs forum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 4:41 am
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

SMF and eFiction, then bridge SMF to MediaWiki:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/SMF:Auth_Integration

I have done this type of bridge before and it works fairly well. eFiction is currently bridged with MediaWiki as an example.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 6:39 am
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

She's asking for something a little different Becca.  She wants the version control from the wiki on the stories themselves.  That would be a huge complicated modification of the software.  Frankly, it's not even something I'd want to take on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 4:41 pm
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Ah my misunderstanding, I guess I didn't read it thoroughly enough, it was a bit late when I posted. My apologies.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2009 11:48 pm
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

As much as I enjoy pimping out eFiction, wouldn't it be easier in this case to modify a wiki into accepting fanfiction?

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2009 2:40 pm
Eos Rose
(@angelike-riddle)
Eminent Member

Is this sort of setup even something users would be interested in? I can't imagine wanting to submit to a site that would keep kicking my story back to the queue every time I fixed a typo. There's something to be said for administrative control, but this isn't very user-friendly and would be difficult to manage in a larger archive. Also, I wonder why you don't allow people to change their stories after submission. No fiction site I'm aware of does such a thing. Basically if you want to fix a typo you need to delete the story and resubmit?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 1:57 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You know, it looks like each chapter ID is unique, and I've been toying with the idea of looking into adding more info for the users & admins about the chapters. Maybe change up the submissions system a little so that rejected chapters don't have to be deleted, but admins can make comments about them that the user can see, then change the story (all before validation). I haven't really thought it through fully, but it sounds a little bit like what the OP's talking about.

Personally, I wouldn't really want to kick edited stories back to the validation queue, but maybe have the action log or something track what stories do get edited by non-admins. Sometimes when we accept stories we recommend changes such as typos and whatnot, and I think some of the admins would like to know if people take the suggestions without having to look up each chapter. Since admin edits are already tracked by the action log, it would be fairly simple (compared to wiki integration) to add non-admin edits, I'd imagine. It might be a good intermediate step for the OP to consider.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 2:10 am
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

You know, it looks like each chapter ID is unique, and I've been toying with the idea of looking into adding more info for the users & admins about the chapters. Maybe change up the submissions system a little so that rejected chapters don't have to be deleted, but admins can make comments about them that the user can see, then change the story (all before validation). I haven't really thought it through fully, but it sounds a little bit like what the OP's talking about.

We've got that system at TNF. We have colour-coded flags too; so a pink might be: "spelling errors" but a read might be a: "??? content". It's great because we don't get any double validations and we don't admin delete things any more.

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2009 7:58 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

@Kali - you're probably right, but eFiction has ALL the search functions and user controls I want, while a wiki would have to be heavily modified to do all that. It's six of one, half dozen of the other...(besides, I cant' figure out how to get an admin queue going for submissions validation on MediaWiki...)

@Angelike - my site is more of a literary journal than a standard fanfic archive. Submissions are pretty tightly controlled, and I don't allow untracked changes after approval. I'd LIKE to offer some way to do edits later, though - that's why I want the wiki integration. Being able to track and display revisions would offer the best of both worlds.

@Lyndsie - I really like the mod idea you're talking about. I'd be okay with revisions not going back into an approval queue if there was a central panel (like the admin revisions form) where I could keep an eye on what had been revised. I would still really like a "version history" log on the side of the story page, though - I'd like readers to be able to see how a story has evolved due to reader commentary and author changes, you know? The most recent version would display by default, with a subtle "Editions" link over to one side, so interested readers could check out the original version and any non-minor edits (ie, not spelling changes). Any idea how I might go about doing these mods?

@Elle - oh, that sounds an awful lot like what I'm shooting for, at least for starters. How did you do your mod? Any pointers for me?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2009 5:11 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

At my site I have a big problem with duplicate accounts & such, so first I want to work on a mod to be able to control that. Then I might start playing with this, especially if Elle is willing to share some of her work.  I haven't had a lot of free time lately so my timeline's pretty far out. : (

My pointers are pretty vague. Just that the chapids are unique, so even if you delete a chapter and then upload another, the new chapter gets the next sequential ID number. It would take some modding in some of the files in the user folder, as well as maybe user.php. And you'd want to probably change the database (probably a new table) to log the changes. You'd almost definitely have to monkey with stories.php, but since I haven't even got to the looking-into it stage I couldn't tell you what else.

To do the more simple action log change I'm not sure where to start. I haven't ever played with the code for the action log before. A good place to start would be to search for fanfiction_log in files that are associated with the individual actions (like registering, so user.php or various files in the user folder) and stuff in the admin folder (for admin deletes/edits and such). I don't believe there's any one file that controls most of what happens with the action log, but I could be wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2009 5:22 am
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

Lyndsie, I'm happy with sharing the work privately (I don't trust it to be on the public forums yet -- not enough testing; potential bugs & my ways are pretty idiosyncratic :P). Do you keep the action log? That's what I use as a basis for the duplicate accounts atm...

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2009 11:32 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Yeah, I have the action log as far back as February of 2007, when I upgraded to 3.0. : )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/11/2009 12:50 am
Share: