Eminent Member
Topic starter

URL to your eFiction: http://fanfiction.oded-fehr.net
Version of eFiction: 3.5.1
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?: No
Version of PHP: 5.2.9
Version of MySQL: 5.0.51a-community
Have you searched for your problem: Yes
If so, what terms did you try: 500 error processing request, category select, category selection and some combinations of these.
State the nature of your problem: When I or my users try to post a new story and select the category, or change the category of an existing one, I get a pop-up saying "500 -- Error Processing Request".
Do you have a test account for us? Yes, I made one: name: arianeleanna password: hrfroahr63ja I can also make a test admin account if necessary.

Posted : 11/05/2009 2:45 am
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

What did you do to includes/categorylist.php?  Upload a clean copy from the .zip.  Something has been radically changed there.

Posted : 11/05/2009 11:28 am
Ariane
(@ariane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I haven't done anything to it. I haven't modded the efiction files on this site except for some translations in theme files several months ago. The last time I did anything with efiction files was to update from 3.5 to 3.5.1 on April 12.

I downloaded the zip, and uploaded the includes/categorylist.php file but still get that same error.

Posted : 11/05/2009 2:00 pm
Ariane
(@ariane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Anyone?

I've since I discovered I also get the same error if I go to Admin->Categories and try to expand the sub-categories, and that I have this same problem occurring on two other efiction installations. All are in the same server/same hosting account, and all were updated to 3.5.1 on April 12, 2009. That's the last time I've done anything to the efiction files.

Posted : 16/05/2009 9:52 am
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

I got the 500 error when trying to upload to your site (using your test account) but when I ignored it and clicked the -> arrow it still moved the category with no complaints.

I'm just wondering since you have categories like COMPLETED STORIES, STORIES IN PROGRESS, etc. that maybe efiction is confused because When you post a story if it is completed there is a checkbox for that. There is a mod called Story End on Tammy's site where someone can mark if the story is completed or not.

But if it was working before 3.5.1 and not now, maybe in Tammy's scripting there is something about your category names and her programming about categories are conflicting.

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

Posted : 16/05/2009 6:26 pm
Ariane
(@ariane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yeah, it adds the top level category (Completed stories etc.) but it's impossible to choose a sub-category (both complete and stories-in-progress have sub-categories) as it is impossible to expand the top level to edit sub-categories in the admin panel.

I don't think the category name (completed stories) and the "complete" ticky box on the new story page could conflict like this. The only module installed is Challenges, no other hacks or mods.

It did work before upgrading to 3.5.1 but unfortunately I don't know when exactly it started giving giving that error - I'd like to think a person would've informed me if you run into it before but you never know. We mostly get new chapters to old stories, by a smallish round of current writers. The last time I personally posted a new story was on the February 15th, and it worked normally at that time.

Thanks for checking!

Posted : 16/05/2009 6:45 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

My main site has a top level category called Completed Fiction and it doesn't have any issues, so I don't think it's likely that that's causing the issues. (We have our categories determined by length because it's a site dedicated to a specific pairing so the characters are all sitewide, and we've been using eFic since 1.1, when either there was no completed checkbox or it wasn't working properly for us. No one wants to go and recategorize ~2000 fics so it's stuck that way.)

We're also at 3.5.1 and don't have that issue. I would suspect that it's something unique to your server. I don't know what, though.

Posted : 17/05/2009 1:38 am
Ariane
(@ariane)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This issue has been solved. I contacted my host; it was a permission issue with "includes" directory - changing it solved the problem.

Posted : 19/05/2009 12:56 pm
Share: