Forum

Restricting certain...

Notifications
Clear all

Restricting certain users from viewing a specific category

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hi,I'm toying with the idea of using efiction for a site that I have in mind. On my forum, I am having a problem with people joining only to read stories and the more interesting topics but they never post or participate in the site. 

Is there a way in efiction that I will be able to restrict lurkers and inactive members from viewing the more  interesting stories or categories?  I did read that there is an age verification but people can lie about their age to gain access.  I just want to be able to block the lurkers from reading certain stories  or viewing certain categories because on my forum I have some users that log in about 10 to 15 times per day and never post anything.

Posted : 02/01/2011 11:12 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

The only similar thing I've heard of is the next most recent post in this board: http://efiction.org/forums/index.php?topic=7856.0  This is different in that it's restricting an area to members only. You might be able to mod it to your purposes, assuming you can easily figure how you are going to define "lurker," which to me seems to be one of the harder parts of the mod.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2011 1:05 am
calash
(@calash)
Estimable Member

It can be done but we need to figure out how to measure activity.

The _authorprefs table has a count of stories.  You could use that as your measure of activity.  Measuring on reviews may be a bit more difficult as the count is not in that table.  I would have to check the code to see if it is a function we could work with.

If you are bridged to a forum you may be able to use some of the statistics there.  It really depends on the forum and what you measure as active.

The World of Necrotania - Story Writing Community

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 5:37 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Well right now, I can see who is logging onto my  forum site .  Certain webhosts log ipaddress and That way I can see who is logging into the site and how often.  From there it wouldn't be too difficult to tell whether or not they've rated,. reviewed or posted any stories.  If they are logging in daily just to lurk I would then restrict their access  to either the newer stories or the more interesting stories until they participate in some way.

The Members area sound pretty interesting, but if you have to register to read the stories wouldn't that make everyone members.  Would it be difficult to  implement this mod with no technical computer experience.  I mean would I be able to follow some sort of step by step instruction?

Thanks everyone for your responses

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2011 11:38 pm
calash
(@calash)
Estimable Member

Anytime you are talking about modifying the script you are diving deep into "computer knowledge needed" territory.  Depending on the complexity it may be a simple "Open file X, search for Y, add Z" type thing.

Many of the statistics you quoted are not readily available to eFiction, at least not without some work.  Items like logs would require code to parse and be very inefficient to work with.  You would be better off trying to work from numbers in the script, such as number of reviews and stories.

Is your site bridged with your forum?  If you did not set this up then it is likely no, unless somebody else setup a bridge for you. 

The World of Necrotania - Story Writing Community

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2011 12:01 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

No, no bridge.  I will use a statistics tracker like google analytics  in conjunction with the log on efiction to track visitors and keep abreast on who is doing what on the site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2011 12:38 pm
Share: