Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Ratings  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Has anyone discovered the wonderful specificity of the BBFC, yet? I use their ratings exclusively on all my fics. Huzzah for detailed criteria!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2008 7:51 pm
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

I like the BBFC ratings, but I implemented the ones from fictionratings.com on my site. I think I read problems with the MPAA with those ratings, so I went with fr.com.

archive: dramione.orgsite: accio.nuAvailable for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/11/2008 8:15 pm
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Has anyone discovered the wonderful specificity of the BBFC, yet? I use their ratings exclusively on all my fics. Huzzah for detailed criteria!

Let's just hope that this doesn't spur any legal problems, as it did with the MPAA. I just read through their disclaimer and other legal docs on the site, so they too might have a problem if you use their ratings.
According to their Disclaimer:

Copyright © BBFC 1998

Copyright and all intellectual property rights in any information and any graphics on this site or relating to it are vested in the BBFC and reserved. No part of the text or graphics on this site may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical or otherwise, including by photocopying, facsimile transmission, recording, re-keying or using any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from the BBFC.

The BBFC grant permission solely for the individual reader’s personal use to access the pages and on a temporary basis only to download and store the content of any page or pages on a single computer.
Trademarks

All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. The letters BBFC and the category symbols are registered trademarks of the British Board of Film Classification. ( Numbers 2234547-2234552)

So technically you're violating copyright law by using it, even though you have no commercial purpose to use their ratings, they can still try to prosecute you if they so choose. Just letting you know, which is why fanfiction sites should avoid using for example MPAA's ratings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2008 10:38 pm
losille
(@losille)
Eminent Member

Part of thinks it is petty, but if it were my copyrighted material I don't know.

Some of the fanfictions I have read needed more clarification so it is good idea to have a different system for fanfics.

We use the ratings on our website but as they apply to the movies we reviews.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2009 9:25 am
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

I know this is a really old topic...  but holy crap. I read that legal letter... WOW.  😮  I changed my ratings to the K and K+  T, etc from fictionratings.com.

I am curious to know if they responded to the letter you sent back to them, Carissa?

"Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'"  - EAP

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2009 6:38 am
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

No, they never responded.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2009 6:58 pm
calash
(@calash)
Estimable Member

I just changed my rating structure partly due to this and partly due to a user request for a restricted area to post more "adult" content.

I went with the following

General+ Audiance
Young+ Audience
13+ Audiance
Mature Audience
Adult Audience

Warning popups on 13+ and higher, Adult is blocked from non-members.

The World of Necrotania - Story Writing Community

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2009 6:24 pm
hurriyet
(@hurriyet)

I am in the process of converting my ratings and am trying to find the easiest way to do this.  I know you can go into the database and individually change ratings, which is not so bad, but time consuming when you have almost 1000 members.  I tried going into fanfiction_ratings and change a rating, which it does, but when I click on fanfiction_stories, the rating of the story has not changed, and has the same RID as before, even if I have deleted it from the list of ratings.  I am sure there is something easy I am missing.  Can anyone help me?  Luckily, I have a test site that I can experiment on.  Here is exactly what I am doing:

When I first click on my php admin?I am clicking on ff_ratings on the left hand side, then am going to the bottom of the page and clicking on rating in the drop down menu box, and pushing go.  Then I click on edit on one of the ratings when the ratings come up, and then change one of the ratings when the edit boxes appear, then push go.  Next, I click on fanfiction_stories on the left hand side, and then go down to the bottom and click on stories in the drop down menu, then push go.  When the stories come up, the rating that I have deleted is still there as the RID.  I am assuming the RID is the correct thing to change.  If not, or if anyone can help me, I would be most appreciative.  Thanks.  And if it is not possible for the ratings to be changed from the fanfiction_ratings database and show up on the fics with the changed rating, please let me know, so I can just do it the long way and change the ratings by way of the titles.  Thanks.  To summarize everything, I want to know if I can do a ratings change to the ratings themselves, and have the fics that are already in the database automatically switch to the new ratings I have replaced the old ones with?  Please help!!!

I'm having the same problem please help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2010 4:06 pm
babaca
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

Did you try Coffee's suggestion?

ok (for those of you who havent screwed with your DB tables), since i'm really bored with reading about this problem, here's a lil script to fix it.  its not meant to patch into eFiction and is a stand alone script, you need to change things to your specific needs.

BACKUP your database before you use this cause it aint my fault

<?
/* these are the same settings as in dbconfig.php - i copied it right from there.  so check that if you are unsure of your settings*/
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbuser = 'user';
$dbpass = 'password';
$dbname = 'database';

$mysql_access = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($dbname, $mysql_access);

/*change to your table prefix found in config.php*/
$tableprefix = "your_table_prefix";

$stories_table = $tableprefix."fanfiction_stories";

/* change these to your new ratings */
$new_g = "new G";
$new_pg13 = "new PG13";
$new_pg = "new PG";

$get_story_rid = mysql_query("Select rid from $stories_table") or die(mysql_error() . " Check your table prefix");

while($rid = mysql_fetch_array($get_story_rid))
  {
      switch ($rid[rid])
      {
      /* change these switches to your existing ratings to coincide with $new_ variables */
      case "NC-17":
      mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_g' where rid = "NC-17"") or die(mysql_error());
      echo "Row $rid[id] updated from NC-17 to $new_g <br>";
      break;

case "PG-13":
      mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_pg13' where rid="PG-13"") or die(mysql_error());
      echo "Row $rid[id] updated from PG-13 to $new_pg13<br>";     
      break;

case "X":
      mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_pg' where rid="X"") or die(mysql_error());
      echo "Row $rid[id] updated from X to $new_pg <br>";     
      break;

default:
      echo "No changes made to the database.<br>";
      }
  }
  echo "The script is complete, check your tables for any errors.";

?>

it worked on a test db table i had, but it only had four rows in it.
if you have a large stories table you might want to do this from the shell since that won't time out on you like a browser might.

******************************************Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)Now running v.3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2010 9:16 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Was I glad to find this, though I wonder how useful ratings are on a adult-only site?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2012 11:31 am
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

Simply use these ratings to avoid problems: https://www.fictionratings.com

My Hub TrekNation | World of X | Capeside Diaries

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2019 11:24 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: