Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Ratings  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

Even as a board admin, I'm not sure where this should go, but it's kind of news, so this seemed the most appropiate forum.

I just wanted to warn you all that the Motion Picture Association is sending out cease and desist letters to any site it finds that uses their ratings. They own trademark rights to G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17, which are the ratings most everyone uses. If you are using them, you may want to consider changing them to something more generic. This is not an internet hoax. I got a letter myself, which you can see a copy of in my LJ.

Posted : 20/03/2005 11:09 pm
fanfictionworld
(@fanfictionworld)
Estimable Member

that is so petty Carissa - shame on them for targeting your site

~Spikey~my site url: http://www.fanfictionworld.orgefic version:3.5.3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/03/2005 11:42 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

HA! What a bunch of assholes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2005 2:54 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

i meant to mention this a while back but forgot because of finals and other things, and its not just her site, its a LOT of sites, i changed the ratings on my site a couple weeks ago

'GaTaMaRa' system as a friend of mine referred to it

General Audience = G
Teenage Audience = pg and pg-13
Mature Audience = R
Restricted Audience = NC17

real simple and should get around them, especially if you put in a disclaimer that they have no input and have not sanctioned your site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2005 3:49 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I will be switching mine over to this when I revamp my site.

http://tfrrs.tripod.com/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2005 8:47 am
tss
 tss
(@tss)

I am in the process of converting my ratings and am trying to find the easiest way to do this. I know you can go into the database and individually change ratings, which is not so bad, but time consuming when you have almost 1000 members. I tried going into fanfiction_ratings and change a rating, which it does, but when I click on fanfiction_stories, the rating of the story has not changed, and has the same RID as before, even if I have deleted it from the list of ratings. I am sure there is something easy I am missing. Can anyone help me? Luckily, I have a test site that I can experiment on. Here is exactly what I am doing:

When I first click on my php admin?I am clicking on ff_ratings on the left hand side, then am going to the bottom of the page and clicking on rating in the drop down menu box, and pushing go. Then I click on edit on one of the ratings when the ratings come up, and then change one of the ratings when the edit boxes appear, then push go. Next, I click on fanfiction_stories on the left hand side, and then go down to the bottom and click on stories in the drop down menu, then push go. When the stories come up, the rating that I have deleted is still there as the RID. I am assuming the RID is the correct thing to change. If not, or if anyone can help me, I would be most appreciative. Thanks. And if it is not possible for the ratings to be changed from the fanfiction_ratings database and show up on the fics with the changed rating, please let me know, so I can just do it the long way and change the ratings by way of the titles. Thanks. To summarize everything, I want to know if I can do a ratings change to the ratings themselves, and have the fics that are already in the database automatically switch to the new ratings I have replaced the old ones with? Please help!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2005 9:36 am
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

Er...all you should have to do is edit your ratings in your admin menu (not phpMyAdmin). They will change automatically most of the time. (Don't delete them, just update them, if that makes sense.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2005 10:13 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

yeah, thats what i figured out after i deleted half of them heheh and had to go change things in the stories heheh

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2005 11:42 am
Kendal
(@slacker)
Eminent Member

Hahahaha.

Oh, how annoying...

I'm a crazy cat!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2005 2:54 pm
tss
 tss
(@tss)

Editing the Admin ratings did not work. I am not sure what you did to make it work, but it surely did not work for our site. it would work for fics you added later, but editing a rating is basically like adding a whole new one and deleting the old. I did change our G rating, since not many if any fics are G, and the fic still had it as Purely Innocent(G), and we had taken off the G. When clicking on the fic, the warning box appeared since ther was no rating connected to the fic any longer. I went in and aded the G again, but it was just as if I had added an entire new rating...it did not change the old fic back to its former rating. Luckily, we found this out with a minimal of fics being affected. But I wanted to warn others that it did not work. Please tell me exactly what you did to get it to work in the admin. menu. I would be most aprecciative. I figured it would have to be changed in the data base, and unfortunately, it still appears that way.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2005 9:07 am
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

It worked for me. A few of them messed up, and combined the old ratings and new ones into one super rating (like this: PEveryoneG-13 and older). Even though the script seemed to think this was a good idea, I did not, so I edited them again, to the jibberish eFiction liked, then redited them again to the ratings I wanted them to be, and it worked. I looked at your site and it seems to have worked for you, so I'm not entirely sure what you're asking though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2005 10:22 am
tss
 tss
(@tss)

We only tried changing the G rating to test it out since we have very few G rated fics. What we did was take off the G which was listed after Purely Innocent. When we checked to see if one of our G Rated fics had changed, it had not, so then I went in and actually readded the G to see what it would do, and when I went back to the fic, it now said Purely Innocent GG - so it is as if it was confusing itself...and us too - lol! I then went to search to call up the g rating, and it said it did not exist even when we returned it to how it was formerly. So as far as e-fiction was concerned our rating G did not exist until we went in again and added it. If you went to our site, everything is as it was before we changed anything - all except for the few G rated fics we had, which now need to be reclassified, so yes everything is fine...just not changed - lol! But I think we have decided to keep our ratings as is. We have always used our own wording for the ratings and just attached the letters as a sort of guide, so we in no way were even trying to use the same ratings as the MPAA - we used our own guidelines to define what was what. I am glad to know though that the editing did work for you. We just have far too many fics to experiement like that though...my nerves aren't strong enough to handle messing up any more ratings. But I did try editing ratings on our test site and it did not work there either, so I am very curious how you were able to get yours to work.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2005 11:49 am
Kendal
(@slacker)
Eminent Member

I'm with tss- I edited in the admin panel, and unfortunately about 2000 stories/chapters are messed up with their ratings- they don't have one, revert to a different one (i.e. 17+ goes to G...), etc...

coffee has suggested a few things, which I am trying now, and hopefully will work, but we'll see. I'll let you know, so you can avoid manual labour...

I'm a crazy cat!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/03/2005 4:02 pm
Kendal
(@slacker)
Eminent Member

It's weird. Some ratings are blank, and many previously 15+ ratings now have the popup warning from the 17+ ratings, even though I've removed the warning from the 17+ rating. It's very frustrating, and a few thousand story edits is a little tedious...

Any ideas?

(Admin panel editing didn't work- it did the above :()...

I'm a crazy cat!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2005 1:27 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

ok (for those of you who havent screwed with your DB tables), since i'm really bored with reading about this problem, here's a lil script to fix it. its not meant to patch into eFiction and is a stand alone script, you need to change things to your specific needs.

BACKUP your database before you use this cause it aint my fault

<?
/* these are the same settings as in dbconfig.php - i copied it right from there. so check that if you are unsure of your settings*/
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbuser = 'user';
$dbpass = 'password';
$dbname = 'database';

$mysql_access = mysql_connect($dbhost, $dbuser, $dbpass) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($dbname, $mysql_access);

/*change to your table prefix found in config.php*/
$tableprefix = "your_table_prefix";

$stories_table = $tableprefix."fanfiction_stories";

/* change these to your new ratings */
$new_g = "new G";
$new_pg13 = "new PG13";
$new_pg = "new PG";

$get_story_rid = mysql_query("Select rid from $stories_table") or die(mysql_error() . " Check your table prefix");

while($rid = mysql_fetch_array($get_story_rid))
{
switch ($rid[rid])
{
/* change these switches to your existing ratings to coincide with $new_ variables */
case "NC-17":
mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_g' where rid = "NC-17"") or die(mysql_error());
echo "Row $rid[id] updated from NC-17 to $new_g <br>";
break;

case "PG-13":
mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_pg13' where rid="PG-13"") or die(mysql_error());
echo "Row $rid[id] updated from PG-13 to $new_pg13<br>";
break;

case "X":
mysql_query("update $stories_table set rid = '$new_pg' where rid="X"") or die(mysql_error());
echo "Row $rid[id] updated from X to $new_pg <br>";
break;

default:
echo "No changes made to the database.<br>";
}
}
echo "The script is complete, check your tables for any errors.";

?>

it worked on a test db table i had, but it only had four rows in it.
if you have a large stories table you might want to do this from the shell since that won't time out on you like a browser might.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2005 11:41 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: