Clear all

efiction support = money?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

I will raise my hand here and say that I have accepted money to set up a hosting account, database, etc. to install/setup eFiction as part of a skin commission package. I do not install any skins that are not made by me, and I do not charge for the time spent actually uploading/configuring eFiction, since I didn't write the script. As long as it's made clear that the money is only for the actual service, not the software (eFiction) and it is made very clear to the client that they could install it themselves for free, then I don't see a problem with it.

I will also say that I DO NOT allow people to charge to install my skins as is, per the LEGAL.txt which comes with every skin

Users of this skin are forbidden to sell or offer paid installation of this skin without written and explicit permission from me, *my legal name redacted*

or from the Creative Commons License

You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section 3 above in any manner that is primarily intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation.

I do, however, turn a blind eye towards people who make significant changes to the skin (not just colors) and properly attribute me before installing the skin for a fee. I have no problem with people making money off of their own labor, but they better not be making money off of mine (and uploading a skin isn't exactly work.)

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

Posted : 02/08/2009 12:13 pm
(@becca)
Honorable Member

I second what Kali said, I provide paid hosting on my server but I do eFiction installations and upgrades for free. I don't think it's right for people to just change a skin around a little and then call it theirs to sell. However if significant graphic design was done like a banner/header perhaps.

Posted : 02/08/2009 12:35 pm
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

Yes, when I said modify, I meant significant modifications not just changing the colors. That's easy enough to do on your own. I once made graphics for a skin and changed the layout from table to div based and installed modules/moved things around for someone. It took many hours and I did charge them. I can't remember the particulars but I think the original creator of the skin didn't have time to do it.

I don't know why anyone would charge for just installing a skin. All you have to do it put the folder in the right place and it works.

Posted : 02/08/2009 1:55 pm
(@guest6421)
New Member Guest

We don't change the colors to the skins, we create her. All the jobs are served as zero by us, we don't modify those other people's.
Unfortunaly, there is here people that accuse us of wanting to modify the skins of Kali and it say that WE don't know about thing we are speaking. To me it seems the contrary one.

My English is very bad, sorry.

Posted : 02/08/2009 2:25 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: