Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Another eFiction/WordPress plugin

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Just thought I'd drop a quick note here to let everyone know about another eFiction plugin for WordPress that has been released both as a free version in the WP repository, and a premium one at it's site.

It's worth checking out at least. Support there is pretty good so far.

Posted : 03/08/2014 12:46 pm
banshee
(@banshee)
Member Admin

Hi BlackFalcon,

Thanks for the update! This is great news, as a Wordpress version was something I was originally rooting for before the lovely new owners of eFiction.org offered to rebuild the existing eFiction script.

All of the features you'd want in a fanfiction archive seem to be only be available in the paid version, and I think $89.00 for that version (with only 1 year of updates!) is a little too expensive for my tastes.

There's mention on the website of conversion services for eFiction, but no mention of costs etc.

I'd be really interested in your experiences with it!

eFiction Archives: Tom Paris Dorm | Twice Bitten | Underground

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2014 7:11 am
Sue
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member

I was excited to see this. Sadly, I had no success in getting the plugin to work with WP4 (not sure what the issue was).

I tried it on one of my test sites (twice) with fresh installs of WP. It just made WP fall over (twice). I gave up.

It's a great concept though (although the site they recommend to view as a demonstration of what the plugin can do looked like a clown exploded on the page - how anyone finds a story that they want is beyond me - but that's totally subjective, I know). The execution is a bit wobbly in some areas (e.g. previous chapters are listed backwards) but it's early days yet and I'm sure it'll get more streamlined as it goes.  The linking up to social media is pretty interesting.

For the money, I'm not sure the premium version is a good deal for what it offers. Although, I guess if you've got a sizeable site you may be able to cover the subscription with donations etc.

More power to them though. I hope they're successful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2014 9:22 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Personally, I don't like it. I prefer how eFiction does things, and I am considering getting a custom plugin made that will integrate with BuddyPress (for custom profiles, messaging, groups (with forums), etc.) and maybe a few others. I may just end up using eFiction 5 when it comes out, if it has enough of the features I want in it (like better spam protection, advertising built in, etc.).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2014 9:33 am
dd92771
(@dd92771)

I used it and was not a fan.  Ended up going back to efiction which is only half working at the present  :cursing:  My WP site got hacked which was a total PITA.  Too many security and stability issues with WP and this version.  I didn't like the fact that I couldn't hide my work unless they registered either.  I am starting to do original stories and don't want it available to just anyone to steal.  :ohboy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/10/2014 3:33 pm
Nadia
(@nadia)
Member Admin

Ended up going back to efiction which is only half working at the present

Maybe we can help you fix it? I do use 3.5.3 for years now without major bugs... A separate topic at the support section, plus link to your archive and a list of errors would be a start. 😉

My Hub TrekNation | World of X | Capeside Diaries

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 2:33 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I've decided to use eFiction as the front end after 5.0 comes out for live sites, with SMF to power the forums. Will have to get custom skins made for both, but I can now afford it, as I've decided that my company will donate 5% of it's sales to my archive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2014 12:21 am
rrichardson
(@rrichardson)

I am reopening my archive after 10 years away - last time I used eFiction it was v1.0 I believe.  Anyway, I have a wordpress front end, would have loved to integrate eFiction with the BBpress and Buddypress users (I have a chatroom and forums).  I installed the plugin from Wordpress but it's UGLY...there are no character sorting capabilities a 6000 word chapter goes across 15 pages (and there doesn't appear to be a way to change this).  I am going to install eFiction again, keep fingers crossed an update comes soon and just make the front end look as pretty as I can. 

If anyone has ANY idea how to integrate their efiction membership with BB and Buddypress that would be grand.  It's been years since I have done any coding!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2015 9:00 am
preatorius
(@preatorius)

It is attractive and modern, but three million users are familiar with the efiction template. The transition to this would be intuitive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/11/2015 2:38 am
Share: