Forum

Notifications
Clear all

PHP mail() function causing major problems

OzBrat
(@ozbrat)

Hello,

Is there another way you can tell eFiction to use a system other than the php mail() function?

Every time someone updates on our site, the site goes down and we have to contact the webhost.

This morning our account got suspended for using too many resources.

So now we've had to disable notifications, but that is obviously a big part of the site so we were hoping there is a way of bringing it back while using a different scripting language or something?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
-Oz

Topic starter Posted : 07/09/2011 2:42 am
OzBrat
(@ozbrat)

Hi just as an added question here - If I could get the SMTP settings working under "E-Mail Settings", would that use a different method of sending out notifications rather than the PHP mail() function?

And if not, what does filling out the E-Mail Settings section actually *do*? I know if you leave it blank it works, but I don't quite understand what it's there for if my idea of it being an alternative way of sending out notifications is wrong.

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2011 5:07 am
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

I can't help with the e-mail issues (I was looking into e-mail throttling myself but it seems fairly complicated XD) but for an alternative solution, for now, have you tried the Tracker module? http://www.hugosnebula.com/downloads/category-14.html

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2011 9:44 pm
OzBrat
(@ozbrat)

Hi Elle,

Yes, I've tried (and am still using) the tracker module, thanks 🙂 It's really good! I just wish it had the mailout feature.. :/

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/09/2011 12:02 am
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

Is it possible for you to check your host's AUP on e-mail? Anything that is getting e-mailed out from your site will contribute to a mail quota or something, usually by the hour.

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2011 2:00 am
Share: