Notifications
Clear all

Can I turn off Register for new Members?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I'm getting too much spam, sadly. The last real member I had was two months ago (but over 100 spam members since and they use "real" email addresses and I've had angry emails from the owners).

Can I (easily) turn off  Member registrations?

Posted : 30/10/2017 10:09 pm
Nadia
(@nadia)
Reputable Member

Not that I know of. I was looking for a turn off myself and couldn't find it. πŸ™
The new eFiction will have this function!

My Hub TrekNation | World of X | Arda Fanfiction

Posted : 31/10/2017 3:13 am
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

I'm getting too much spam, sadly. The last real member I had was two months ago (but over 100 spam members since and they use "real" email addresses and I've had angry emails from the owners).

Couldn't you just go into the admin page, go to panels, pull up the u-member account panels, click edit on register, and change the level to 4? That way, non-members wouldn't be able to view the registration page. I haven't actually tried this, but I think it would work.

Posted : 31/10/2017 10:54 am
(@guest18238)
New Member Guest

An interesting idea, but I still want to allow valid new members to join.  Right now, I am getting a ton of fake members where the bio is filled with info on teeth whitening.  Seriously?  Someone is going to use my site for spam and that's the best they can do?  Anyway, I turned on Captcha, but that may only work on new stories, not new members (still need to test).

Posted : 31/10/2017 12:42 pm
(@guest18060)
New Member Guest

I had this same issue. My hosting allows for multiple sub domains and different directories so I just made additional pages using website building software that I have for custom pages and especially any pages that have submission forms including the registration form. In the admin area, in the Page Links page I simply edited the Register page link info so that Link URL: lists the address of the new registration form I created so that if anyone clicks on register it will take them to the new page only. For link target I chose new window because I prefer it to open in a new window/tab you don't have to do this if you don't want to. And link access is set to all.

If someone registers to one of my archives (I currently have two) they register at the other sub domain site and then I can determine if it is a real or fake request. I have put questions on the registration form that pertain to the fandom of the archives that a bot should not be able to answer correctly in addition to the captcha verification.

When someone registers and I determine that they are legit, I simply go to my admin page, click on members, click add new author, then add the penname, real name (if applicable) and email address from the new registration form. After that, I go back to members in the admin area, click on the new member/author penname, and add additional info from the other registration form if any was supplied, then I submit it. NOTE: A password is not necessary. Then to give the new member control of the new account, I go back to members, and click on authors input by admins then click on the authors name to release the author and give the new member control of their new account, so they can submit stories, reviews, etc. then I click yes to confirm the action. A randomly generated password is then sent to the new member which they will use to log into their new account. They can change this password after they first log in to the account.

If you would like to check out how my archives look here are some links I have a CSI and Star Wars archives. They are both kinda new, I haven't had a lot of time to work on advertising and inviting new members yet so I don't have a lot of members yet, but you can get an idea of what I did.

http://www.csi.ajourneythrough.org This is the CSI archive main page.
http://www.csi.ajourneythrough.org/a/register.html This is the registration page I made.

http://www.starwars.ajourneythrough.org This is the Star Wars archive main page.
http://www.starwars.ajourneythrough.org/a/register.html This is the registration page I made.

Posted : 31/10/2017 2:53 pm
Nadia
(@nadia)
Reputable Member

@Sue: Are you using Bad Behaviour already?
If not, think of it. I'm using it to protect my archives.

My Hub TrekNation | World of X | Arda Fanfiction

Posted : 01/11/2017 6:29 am
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for all the replies and the interesting ideas. Hmm.

I'm using Bad Behaviour "Bad Behaviour has blocked 186 access attempts in the last 7 days." and Captcha but somehow, I'm getting lots (lots) of dental spam accounts (about 6-10 per day).

Posted : 01/11/2017 7:36 pm
Share: