Notifications
Clear all

Users not able to change skins

12 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

If you click on the dropdown and choose a skin, the page changes to that skin but it doesn't hold. As soon as you click on another page (such as from Home to Search) the skin always defaults back to whatever the default for the archive is as set in the Admin settings.

We've tried this in both maintenance mode and with the archive unlocked, on two different computers in both Firefox and Internet Explorer, so I don't think it's a cookie/temp files issue. I've been through every setting I can find and didn't find an option for "let user choose skin" or something to that effect. We also checked to make sure that all the files for the archive software were updated and as far as we can tell they're all there. We've looked at other efiction sites and the skin change holds even if you aren't signed in, so this looks like something the program is supposed to do.

Our site is http://starskyhutcharchive.net and it's version 3.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted : 23/06/2009 11:18 pm
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Have you tried updating to the latest version 3.5.1?

Posted : 01/07/2009 1:06 pm
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. I just ran the update and it's still not holding the skin. If you go to a page and change it to LiquidSteelRed, then click on a link to go to another page, it reverts back to Liquid Steel. It's very frustrating.

ETA- Just tried changing the default skin for the Admin account to the LiquidSteelRed and now it's stuck on that, even if I log out of the account. Doesn't matter which browser I use.

Posted : 02/07/2009 11:01 pm
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Hm I see, I am experiencing this problem as well. I would say maybe something to do with your webserver? Perhaps try contacting your host or posting on their community forums?

Posted : 03/07/2009 1:26 am
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

Believe it or not, we've actually switched web hosts and it was doing it on the old one as well. I was wondering if it was cookie settings but it does remember when someone logs in. Thanks anyway, I really do appreciate it.

Posted : 03/07/2009 1:46 am
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

I'm not seeing that any cookies are being saved for your site.

Posted : 07/07/2009 1:47 am
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

Sorry, life got away from me for a while there. I think you're right about the cookies, any idea how to go about fixing that. Is this a host issue or something on our end? Thanks so much.

Posted : 12/09/2009 3:17 pm
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

Finally figured it out. Our host disabled access to /var/php_sessions, so we had to edit the header.php to save them in a temporary directory local to our site.

if(!isset($_SESSION)) session_save_path("ourlocalpath/cgi-bin/tmp");
session_start();

Posted : 12/09/2009 7:57 pm
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Ahh.  Didn't see this before I responded to your other post.  Just curious, did your host tell you why they'd disabled access to that directory without setting a new save path for you?  That just doesn't seem right.

Posted : 13/09/2009 12:28 am
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

The only thing that I saw was "for security reasons" but I have no idea what exactly that means and I get the impression that it's not standard practice. Very frustrating, but at least it's working now. Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

Posted : 13/09/2009 12:34 am
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Yeah, I can see them disabling it for security reasons, but when they do, they should have set the config for your account the same way you did to point to a directory of your own for your session variables.

Posted : 13/09/2009 12:37 am
(@cyanne)
Topic starter

That would have been nice. The whole thing is just really weird. Had I known how quirky this host would have been, I wouldn't have gone with them but the idea of having to pull up stakes and transfer everything all over again is enough to keep me here, at least for now.

Posted : 13/09/2009 1:03 am
Share: