3 Users
0 Likes
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

URL to your eFiction: http://www.aphroditeslabyrinth.com
Version of eFiction:efiction35
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?:no
Version of PHP: i don't know but i've successfully installed efiction before here
Version of MySQL: MySQL 5.0
Have you searched for your problem: yes
If so, what terms did you try:move, transfer, no database
State the nature of your problem: i recently moved servers and i can't get get my site to populate with the old database from the previous server. this is what i did. i made a backup database at the site prior to the transfer. i created a copy of folder containing all the files from the previous server. i uploaded the folder containing all the files onto the new server. when i opened my website, it took me to the new install page during which i populated it with the current information minus the sitekey which i copied and pasted from the config file. so the program is installed, but i just want to restore all the files with my backup database. when i tried to import the database, which is a sql file, i get this error:

SQL query:

# Dump of fanfiction_authorfields
# Dump DATE : 11-Oct-2009
INSERT INTO fanfiction_authorfields
VALUES (
"1", "4", "lj", "Live Journal", " http://{info}.livejournal.com", "", "", "0"
)

MySQL said: Documentation
#1062 - Duplicate entry '1' for key 1

my previous error was for no database selected.

i don't know what's going on here. please help. thanks.

Posted : 21/10/2009 4:11 am
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Empty all the tables in the database then reimport your data.  If you get an error that the table already exits, drop all the tables in the database and then reimport your data. Option 2 is probably the one you're going to need to do, but better to try the less intensive option first.

Posted : 21/10/2009 2:50 pm
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

did what was suggested. new error:

SQL query:

# Dump of fanfiction_online
INSERT INTO fanfiction_online
VALUES (
"1", "2147483647", "1255285384"
)

Posted : 21/10/2009 3:06 pm
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

and on the website:

A fatal MySQL error was encountered.
Query: SELECT * FROM fanfiction_online WHERE online_uid=0 AND online_ip = INET_ATON('174.50.128.75')
Error: (1146) Table 'db300844637.fanfiction_online' doesn't exist

Posted : 21/10/2009 3:07 pm
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

perhaps i did this all wrong.

this is what i did:

i made a backup database.
i basically dragged the folder where efiction was installed onto my desktop.
i uploaded the entire folder onto the new server via an ftp program.

now, should i have uploaded a new efiction program versus the program i had installed at my previous server?
i changed all the settings to correlate with the current server in config.php. 

i guess i just want to make sure i did everything correctly.

so can someone be so kind as to go over the step by step procedure when transferring servers? thanks.

Posted : 21/10/2009 3:35 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

The one step you're missing (which I think you did, and is what is giving you trouble) is uploading the database backup. Transferring the files you had on the old server and using those shouldn't matter as long as you got them all.

Those last two MySQL messages are related. For whatever reason a query ran to dump the table fanfiction_online, which is why the site is telling you it can't find it. That's for a block, though, so you can fix that quite easily. If you go to Admin > Blocks and set it to inactive the fatal error should stop appearing. (It should still let you do this since the block should still have an entry in fanfiction_blocks, but if it doesn't let you then read the following.)

However, if you want to use the block, do the following.  First go into fanfiction_blocks and delete the line corresponding to the Who's Online block. Then if you go into Admin > Blocks, it should want to be initialized again, so do so.

Posted : 21/10/2009 4:40 pm
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

lyndsie, how do i access the admin control panel when my website is white with just the message?

http://aphroditeslabyrinth.com/maintenance.php

A fatal MySQL error was encountered.
Query: SELECT * FROM fanfiction_online WHERE online_uid=0 AND online_ip = INET_ATON('174.50.128.75')
Error: (1146) Table 'db300844637.fanfiction_online' doesn't exist

i've been trying to upload the backup database but each time i get this error:

SQL query:

# Dump of fanfiction_authorfields
INSERT INTO fanfiction_authorfields
VALUES (
"1", "4", "lj", "Live Journal", " http://{info}.livejournal.com", "", "", "0"
)

i don't know what i'm doing wrong here. i already deleted all files and reupload the files, again, still to no avail.

Posted : 21/10/2009 5:07 pm
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Okay, your site's in maintenance mode, and obviously you don't have the logged-in cookies to get past the error. Normally when you have an error with one of the blocks, all you have to do is type in the URL to a part of your site that isn't the index page, which is most likely the only place where the block would be used at and be causing problems. (So like, yoursite.com/browse.php would be fine, unless you've one of those skins that puts the blocks on every page.)

It seems like you're having problems other than just with the block, though. You're uploading a database backup, but it looks as though you've already got something up in the same location, maybe. Is that true? Because it's dumping eFiction tables. (Although the date on that is weird.)

How are you uploading the backup? Do you have an .sql of the entire database, or are you doing it table by table?

Also, if this a switch between hosting companies, many companies offer to transfer entire cPanels for their customers. They would do everything for you so you wouldn't have to deal with this stuff.

Posted : 21/10/2009 5:24 pm
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

i'm going to call my hosting company to see if they can do it for me. when i had requested the transfer i asked if they could transfer everything but they said they couldn't. however, in the past, they've been very helpful with setting up the website.

if they can't or refuse to help me, can i just start with a fresh install? and worse comes to worse, is there a way to upload the stories and members other than manually entering the data one by one?

thanks.

Posted : 22/10/2009 1:47 am
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I'm not really sure what the issue is with the database, so it really depends on whether or not the data is intact. The problem is that's it's all so intertwined with all the various IDs and such. So say for instance you can recover fanfiction_stories. Well, each of those entries has a field for the author's uid, and if you can't recover fanfiction_authors then the uids would be meaningless, or change based on when people sign up again. So that makes it a lot more of an all-or-nothing scenario. Of course, you could lose all the various settings, and even reviews, and it wouldn't really affect the core content.

If you're uploading a full database backup fresh and not overwriting an old one, then the fact it's dumping tables seems weird. I'd talk to your host. If you're re-uploading over an existing copy, try deleting the one up there first and try again.

Posted : 22/10/2009 2:52 am
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

i know all the stories are saved in a folder, but is there a file for all the members/authors? i think i'm going to attempt a new install and then transfer just the stories over and go from there. i don't care much about the stats. i just want the stories and the members in tact.

Posted : 22/10/2009 3:31 am
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Everything but the stories folder (for those who select to save in the folder and not in the database) and the config.php is stored in the databse. The stories are saved in folders that are labeled with the author's uid, and the chapter .txt files inside are labeled with the chapid. So having the files is good, but you'd need the context as well. At minimum you'd need fanfiction_authors, fanfiction_stories, and fanfiction_chapters (and I'm not looking at a DB right now so there could be more). I guess depending on how many authors and chapters there are, you could rebuild them manually, but for a larger site (I think of mine with 15,000+ members and 6600+ chapters) it would be a nightmare. The only part of the text saved as a .txt file is what's put into the actual story text box in the story form. So even authors notes and everything else - selection of category, classification, title, chapter title, etc. - are stored in the DB.

Posted : 22/10/2009 3:58 am
(@nsaphrodite)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

i think i know what's wrong although i still don't know how to fix it. i created a new database at the new server and updated my config.php to correlate with the new info. when i open the mysql database, there's nothing there and therefore the backup database cannot be updated if there are no tables. so i'm going to upload the entire folder with the install folder as well so i can create all the folders and then upload the database. i think you said about having something already in the tables makes sense, lyndsie. my next question is how can i override that data in those tables?

Posted : 22/10/2009 4:54 am
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You shouldn't need to do it that way. Is your backup copy of your database all one file? Probably so, like an .sql or a .sql.gz or other compressed file type, right? You should be able to upload that entire thing to your server, and it will be totally fine, so long as you don't have another one by the same name already. I've done it before myself, to create a test site on another server using the database from my live site. Of course, the database will have the same name as your old database. So then you can create the MySQL user and password and associate that user with the database you uploaded. Put the info for the new user & pass and the old database name into config.php and it should work. Like I said, I've done it before and had no problems.

If you happen to have the tables broken up and saved separately somehow, the best would be to create a new database with nothing in it at all, and then import the tables from your backup(s). You could run install and create the tables and then attempt to overwrite them with the ones from your backup. The best way to do that is to delete the fresh-install table first and then upload the backup one, I think. I've done something like that for an SMF I was restoring, when I couldn't figure out which tables were giving me problems.

Posted : 22/10/2009 7:02 am
Share: