Notifications
Clear all

Submitting

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

Okay some of the people who join my site try to submit pretty much right away and are told they cannot submit right then. Is there a waiting period and if so can I turn it off?

Also one of the people I just made a mod can't seem to do anything even the most basic thing such as submitting a story. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Posted : 16/07/2008 3:28 pm
(@fanfictionworld)
Estimable Member

well a link to the site and a testaccount would have  been  a good start but have you made sure the site is not either in Maintance mode or that  Turn off unsolicited submissions setting is set to no in the admin area? as those 2 things will stop authors submitting

~Spikey~

my site url: http://www.fanfictionworld.org
efic version:3.5.3

Posted : 16/07/2008 6:10 pm
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

well a link to the site and a testaccount would have  been  a good start but have you made sure the site is not either in Maintance mode or that  Turn off unsolicited submissions setting is set to no in the admin area? as those 2 things will stop authors submitting

My site is here: http://www.untempered-schism.vze.com/

The site's testing account is testing and the passoword is TEST1

The site is not on maintence mode and as for the unsoliciated submissions should that be turn on to YES?

Also a new problem from one of my members:

Whenever I try to do anything here it logs me out immediately. Add a story - get logged out. Change my profile - get logged out. View the home page - get logged out. Is it possibly something I can fix on my computer to keep this from happening? Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Posted : 16/07/2008 6:54 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

The only member options on that test account are:

Manage Favorites
Edit Bio
Edit Preferences
View Your Statistics
Logout

So you must have unsolicited submissions off because Add story would be listed as a choice.

Thus where it says:
Turn off unsolicited submissions: (Change that Yes to NO).

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

Posted : 16/07/2008 10:07 pm
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

The only member options on that test account are:

Manage Favorites
Edit Bio
Edit Preferences
View Your Statistics
Logout

Okay changed that.

So you must have unsolicited submissions off because Add story would be listed as a choice.

Thus where it says:
Turn off unsolicited submissions: (Change that Yes to NO).

Okay when I have it on OFF/NO,  no one could do anything hardly on the archive without problems, not even the mods. Is there a security reason why I should change the YES to NO?

Also the way the about reads when you put the cursor on the ? mark is that if it is turned OFF only the admins can submit to the archive. Am I misunderstanding it or is that actually the case?

Posted : 17/07/2008 4:23 pm
(@babaca)
Member Moderator

Okay on my closed archive website where only I'm the only person who post stories and I don't want others to add them unless I do it for them I have it set to Yes, which means I do not want unsolicited stories from others. The stories I add for others I do an add by admin. These are usually gift fics to me that I ask if it's okay to post on my site. I add their names as authors, post their stories and give them the password if they desire to go back and edit their stories.

On my test site where I have it as open archive and I have the submission settings as NO (do NOT turn off unsolicited submissions), then when a new member signs up they have the account info where they can add a story. It goes to my submission queue and I can validate or reject the stories when I as an admin can look at them. If in time I feel I don't need to validate every story, I validate the author in the Admin settings, so that when they post their stories it gets validated when they post.

I know the yes/no is confusing and even more when your read the help file.

What you did for your test account is made it a validated author, because I could (and did) validate my test story. Actually I take that back you have test set up as an admin (level 4?). Do you want your authors to be admins?

Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

Posted : 17/07/2008 4:47 pm
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

Okay on my closed archive website where only I'm the only person who post stories and I don't want others to add them unless I do it for them I have it set to Yes, which means I do not want unsolicited stories from others. The stories I add for others I do an add by admin. These are usually gift fics to me that I ask if it's okay to post on my site. I add their names as authors, post their stories and give them the password if they desire to go back and edit their stories.

On my test site where I have it as open archive and I have the submission settings as NO (do NOT turn off unsolicited submissions), then when a new member signs up they have the account info where they can add a story. It goes to my submission queue and I can validate or reject the stories when I as an admin can look at them. If in time I feel I don't need to validate every story, I validate the author in the Admin settings, so that when they post their stories it gets validated when they post.

I know the yes/no is confusing and even more when your read the help file.

Ah I'm a bit more confused since the trouble I seem be having before I changed it to YES stopped. I'll change it to NO again but I don't understand all the other issues I am having above.

What you did for your test account is made it a validated author, because I could (and did) validate my test story. Actually I take that back you have test set up as an admin (level 4?). Do you want your authors to be admins?

It's a test account so I made it a 2. The authors aren't being given those kinds of priviledges since I do want them for a time have to get through a mod to post stories.

Posted : 17/07/2008 5:00 pm
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

My issues continue: Some of my members can post their stories while others tell me they get messages saying they are not authorized to do so. Can anyone tell me the cause of this issue and how to fix it?

Posted : 17/07/2008 11:36 pm
(@fawkes)
Eminent Member

Wel, I dont know if you care for my imput, but I made an account to look, and it seemed that when I clicked the add stories link, It loggged me out. The link that says "log out" if you are logged in changed to "Log in"

Posted : 17/07/2008 11:48 pm
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

Wel, I dont know if you care for my imput, but I made an account to look, and it seemed that when I clicked the add stories link, It loggged me out. The link that says "log out" if you are logged in changed to "Log in"

Yep that's part of what I am talking about. Some people are told they cannot add stories and others get logged out. But I have no clue what is going on and it's frustrating.

Posted : 18/07/2008 12:01 am
(@fawkes)
Eminent Member

maybe just cookie problems, lemme check

(checking)

While im doing that, I noticed a SHORT URL ad/credit thing at the bottom. I also noticed that th URL bar didnt change, do you think that could be a problem?

Posted : 18/07/2008 12:08 am
(@fawkes)
Eminent Member

ok, It wont let me do ANYTHING profile or member related, ad the URL still wont change, like on most sites, It will change for every page, this one stays the sameno matter what page I am on. If it is something you put on there you might want to consider taking it off THEN trying to add a story. If it is something your host uses, you might want to consider asking them to turn it of for your site, or making a test site with a different host, then see if you can submit.

Posted : 18/07/2008 12:16 am
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

Turn off the short url thing and see if it works. Before you do that though, you may want to reupload your files. The admin panel gives me a fatal mysql error message.

If you require more help, please turn on debugging so we can see the error messages.

Posted : 18/07/2008 12:19 am
(@guest2324)
New Member Guest

If I reupload my files will I lose anything that's already in the archive?

Posted : 21/07/2008 8:59 pm
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Only any MODs you have done.

Posted : 22/07/2008 12:09 am
Share: