Story summaries and notes disappear when I try to post a new story
ETA: Sorry, I overlooked the template. Here it is:
URL to your eFiction: http://kerfuffle.org/collatorsden/eFiction331/index.php
Version of eFiction: 3.3.1
Have you bridged eFiction, if so with what?: No.
Version of PHP: I'm not the hosting party, so I don't know; sorry.
Version of MySQL: Same problem as with the PHP.
Have you searched for your problem: yes
If so, what terms did you try: "summary and story notes disappearing"
State the nature of your problem: I don't receive an actual error message, the software just complains that I didn't fill in some fields that I *did* fill in.
Do you have a test account for us? Nope, but I suppose that can be done if necessary. Would have to talk to the main admin on whose webspace the archive is located etc.
I have just tried, for about a dozen times, to submit a new story to the archive of which I am a fairly clueless co-admin (my job is just doing backups ;-)). Yet every time I hit either 'preview' or 'post', the next page tells me that "some of the required information is missing", and the story summary and story notes fields are displayed as empty - despite my having entered data in them on the story submission page.
http://kerfuffle.org/collatorsden/eFiction331/stories.php?action=newstory (you probably won't be able to see the page, but the forum rules said to post a link).
The story itself is carried over all right from the submissions page to the preview/post page, but the other fields are automatically emptied. Is this a bug, or am I just too inexperienced to use the posting interface? (But I've posted stories before...)
Oh, and also: the story - according to the preview page - automatically gets placed in a time period category that officially doesn't exist. We have five or six time periods in which authors can place their stories, e.g. "1973-1981", yet the preview page says my story belongs to "Episode 1.03 fics" - which is a) entirely wrong, and b) should't even exist.
ETA: Version number is 3.3.1. We should probably upgrade; need to talk to the other admins about that.
I just had the brilliant idea to test this in another browser. Was using Opera, my regular browser, at first, and that's where the problem occurred. It turns out that in Firefox, the problem does not occur. So it may be an Opera-specific issue.
ETA - sorry, sieve-for-brain today: the strange time period category problem *does* occur in Firefox, too, but at least the content of the summary and story notes fields doesn't disappear.
I would definitely upgrade as a first step. Lots of bugs have been fixed since 3.3.1.