SMF Integration

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@senkusha)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi!

I just installed eFiction to my 1.1x SMF forum, and hope it will be a great add-on.  I do have a couple of questions though, I apologize if these have been answered already, I have searched a little.

First, Is it possible to integrate into SMF more fully.  For example, I would like a "Fan Fiction" tab on my SMF tab menu.  I can manually code the hyperlink, and that works for getting traffic to the new eFiction, but I would also want the SMF header (with tab strip) to be visible within eFiction.  Also, if possible, could eFiction simply use my CSS from SMF (probably with some tweaking for the eFiction elements).

Second, this may be out of the scope of the support here.  I have the SMF shop modification installed.  Currently it gives points for each new topic / reply created, plus a bonus of 1 point per word. I would like to include the inclusion of adding points to the member's account when posting stories via eFiction.  I can do the coding part (inserting into the smf database and stuff), but I have no idea where to begin -- is there a specific function/php file that performs a word count?

Thank you for your time and patience!

Update:

Would these two topics include the information that I need to do the first item?

• [SMF Bridge] Header/Title Mod [Working]
    [*] Adding Button/Active Tab Mod [SMF Bridge]
  •  
    Posted : 06/05/2009 3:33 pm
    (@carissa)
    Member Moderator

Efiction is not an "add-on" to SMF, it's a stand-alone program so the integration is minimal. You can certainly mod both your SMF and eFiction istallations to integrate them more fully, but it wouldn't be an easy task.

Coding the efiction link in your SMF forum would be simple, but not really an eFiction support topic. Getting the SMF bar would be a bit more difficult. I think you'd have to use an iframe or some other type of include to pull your efiction site onto an SMF template page with the bar at the top. As for using the same CSS, no, that's not possible out-of-the box. You'd have to rewrite the entire skin to do it.

Posted : 06/05/2009 3:59 pm
    (@senkusha)
    Eminent Member
    Topic starter

Thank you for your quick response.  I understand that eFiction is a seperate product.  But what about the two articles I had updated my first post with?  What exactly do they do?  Based on reading them, unless I am misunderstanding them, it appears that they would give me most of the functionality that I am looking for.

Thank you!

Posted : 06/05/2009 11:08 pm
    (@carissa)
    Member Moderator

I don't know anything about those mods. Looking at Calicocat's site, it looks like they will provide header integration.. They're almost two years old though and probably aren't compatible with SMF 2.X so you'll probably have to use the current 1.X version. If you have questions about a specific mod, it's best to ask in that thread.

Posted : 07/05/2009 1:24 am
    (@takato)

I can maybe help, I have recently added the shop to my forum, and I even made it so works with new stories and chapters. well the adding credits part (I plan to make it remove credits on deletions too) it's just a simple file that works with the code hooks.

besides that I'm quite happy right now as I just got the efic and smf  bridge to work with smf 2!
    I can help with that too if you want.

Posted : 15/08/2009 7:19 am
    Share: