css questions

Notifications
Clear all

css questions

Page 2 / 2
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

Cool! 😀  Thank you soo much!  Both of you for your help!  

How can I put my code in the blue boxes next time, so its easier for you to read?

Also,  I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can find this summary box:

http://www.markedbytheboys.com/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=6&index=1

I thought it was this:  
#viewstory .listbox { border: 1px solid #000; background: #FFF; padding: 7px;}
#viewstory .listbox .content { border: 0; }
#viewstory .listbox .adminoptions { padding: 0 7px; margin: 0;}

But of course its not.  LOL. I don't even know where my changes went for that, because they didn't show up! I just wanted to make a thicker border around it, and have the black lines go on the top and bottom as well.   😀 😆

"Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'"  - EAP

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/07/2009 10:24 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

That's storyindex.tpl. Looks like that skin uses the one in default_tpls, though, so don't worry that you don't see it in the folder. You just have to change CSS.

I think this is the section you need:

/* The content of the box...summary, categories, etc. */
.listbox .content {
padding: 6px;
background: #fff;
border: 1px solid #000;
border-top: 0;
border-bottom: 0;
margin: 0 5px;
       font-size: 0.9em;
}

I think this would work.

/* The content of the box...summary, categories, etc. */
.listbox .content {
padding: 6px;
background: #fff;
border: 2px solid #000;
margin: 0 5px;
       font-size: 0.9em;
}

Up the px on border if you want it thicker. It might also change other places too, though. If it does and you don't like it, you can always leave the original, change what I gave you to like .indexbox .content, and then put a copy of storyindex.tpl into the skin folder and change <div class="listbox"> to <div class="indexbox">.

You can do the blue box by using the code BBC tag. It's like (code) and (/code) but with square brackets. It's the # button up above the emoticons.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2009 10:34 pm
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

Hey thanks so much!  I am learning!  This is helping.  

The only additional place I saw the border was changed , was this page:

http://www.markedbytheboys.com/fanfiction/browse.php?type=categories&catid=1

But that's fine, because it looks ok. I would like to take out that extra space between summary and categories.  I figure there must be a <br/>  somewhere.  Will I find the code for that page on the storyindex.tpl?  I am not sure what to call those blocks. Summary blocks?

I just checked out that story template.  I think I confused myself, because I don't see any breaks between summary and category.

<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : header -->
<div id="pagetitle">{title} by {author}</div>
<div id="sort"> [{reviews} - {numreviews}] {score}{printicon}</div>
<div id="output">
<div class="jumpmenu">{jumpmenu}</div>
<div class="listbox">
<div class="content">{featuredstory}<span class="label">Summary: </span>{summary}<br />
<span class="label">Rated:</span> {rating}<br />
<span class="label">Categories:</span> {category} <span class="label">Characters: </span> {characters}<br />
{classifications}
<span class="label">Challenges:</span> {challengelinks}<br /> <span class="label">Series:</span> {serieslinks}<br />
<span class="label">Chapters: </span> {numchapters} <span class="label">Completed:</span> {completed} <br />
<span class="label">Word count:</span> {wordcount} <span class="label">Read:</span> {count}<br />
<span class="label"> Published: </span>{published} <span class="label">Updated:</span> {updated} </div>
{adminlinks}
</div>

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2009 1:37 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You should look in listings.tpl. Listings.tpl also appears in profiles and other places, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2009 2:03 am
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

Lyndsie, you are awesome. And you have the patience of a saint.  One day I hope I can help others too. LOL.  I just picked up two books on HTML and CSS, so I plan to read up.  It talks more about that "em" you were explaining to me.

I think I have given up on that space between summary and categories.  It's just me being picky anyway - it is not hurting anything.  LOL

But, I seemed to have broken something else. (surprise surprise, eh?? :P) I sure need to stop doing this... but then again, that's how we learn right?  haha.  I have checked the css, and the index, and the variables, but I don't see anything off. I am new to coding though, so I very well might have overlooked something. 

The issue is in IE - my welcome box spreads around the featured block and the recent block.  I originally thought I was missing a </div> or I forgot to close a bracket.  But, I don't see it. 🙁

Her is a screen shot, since my babble probably does not make any sense.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2009 6:13 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You must have the featured stories inside the div for the welcome, or something is mismatched. I would guess a mismatch since it's only doing that in IE. (Something's not closed?)

ETA: Another thing I'm not sure matters, but you've got a typo in your header.tpl. That </div> I said to add, you've got </duv>.

I also think there's an extra </div> at the end of footer.tpl. There should be one extra, to go with the <div id="mainpage"> in header.tpl, but there are two </div>s in footer.tpl that don't have a match within footer.tpl (and index doesn't need one). So maybe getting rid of that end one will also help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2009 7:03 pm
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

You closed your banner with duv instead of div. That will confuse it the rest of the way down the page.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2009 7:30 pm
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

omg, I feel so dumb. LOL.  I can't believe I typoed that.  DUH!

And I found the error.  I can't believe this... I checked my welcome html that I used to change the font size.... I forgot to close the font.  >

*smacks head*

I restored my CSS trying to fix my button issue that has started up again.  A few people sent me some screen shots, showing their buttons still overlapping. (I guess this depends on resolution/window size.)  I removed a button and put it at the bottom.  I noticed that when they do over lap, and you move your mouse to the next one, the "home" button will follow your mouse cursor around! The hover also sort of shifts to the left. I changed the margin-left from -10 to -7, and it sort of looks better. Again, this is all from IE.  Bad IE! 

What do you guys do when you have different people seeing different things with browsers?  Is it always so complicated to adjust between them?  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2009 10:20 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Typically I always check how stuff looks in several different browsers/versions of browser before I release a skin. But it can be annoying sometimes. At least most people aren't using IE 6 anymore. : )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2009 11:37 pm
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

hahah!  I am still on IE 6.  LOL

I think im slowly realizing that I can't make it perfect. Different resolutions and window sizes, not just browsers, will make a difference.  I never knew that stuff was going to be such a pain.  This is turning out to be a huge learning experience. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2009 11:59 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Well, at least you're learning something new. You should upgrade, if you can. I don't think a lot of people are still using IE 6 (8 is out now), and it has some particular quirks that it's easier not to account for. I know a lot of sites (iStockPhoto, for one) no longer offer IE 6 support, so it's a reasonable thing to do.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2009 12:05 am
aquaanimus
(@aquaanimus)
Trusted Member

Yea I think its time to upgrade.  : )  Thanks again for your help.  I hope I will be set for a bit now. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/07/2009 12:07 am
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

My suggestion on testing skins.  Create it using Firefox and you've got 90% of the browsers looking right.  Then go back and fix whatever IE has gotten wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2009 6:08 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: