Forum

Authors names too c...

Notifications
Clear all

Authors names too close together on elegence skin.

Page 1 / 2
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

The authors names are overlapping each other on the elegence skin. Is there a way to fix this?

Topic starter Posted : 08/07/2009 7:29 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You need to give us more information. Where on the skin are you talking about? Also, what browser are you using, as that will likely make a difference, too.

I'm sure it's changeable. It's a matter of manipulating the right HTML/CSS.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2009 4:59 pm
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

But how exactly?

Dana

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/07/2009 7:04 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

You still need to answer the questions I asked for me to know which files to look at.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2009 7:16 pm
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

Sorry I didn't notice the questions. It's on the elegence skin in the authors, members section, site admins section and the categories section. I use an aol browser but my mods without aol have the same prob.

http://anenduringlove.net/authors.php?list=authors

http://anenduringlove.net/browse.php?type=categories

Check it out if you can. I think I've answered your questions, but I'm not sure. I use an ftp client. I noticed the names are all horizonally arranged. The categories too. If I can make them verticle the problem would be solved. Is there a way to do this?

Dana

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/07/2009 9:32 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Well, first thing, the AOL browser is terrible. It really does some things very poorly, and I've seen a couple of really odd eFic problems come down to the fact that the person was using the AOL browser and their site was actually fine. (One thing had to do with being unable to validate stories under certain conditions.)

That said, it's also that way in Firefox, and I think I've noticed this before with elegance-based skins. I think both of those are controlled by default.tpl. Have you modified the .tpls or style.css at all?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2009 9:46 pm
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

Yes I modified the index tpl. As for the stylecss no. I've been looking for it to fix something but haven't found it yet. However, I was having this problem before I touched anything. I haven't touched the default tpl but it's not only happening on my aol browser. It's happening to all my mods with different browsers too. If you make the window bigger it helps, but you have to make it super big and even then it doesn't always help. Any suggestions?

Dana

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2009 12:54 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

The style.css should be in the elegance skin folder. The reason I asked about changes was because I was curious if I could just use the files that come with the download to play with it on my test site, which it turns out I can.

I'm not able to replicate this on my test site. Is there no style.css file in the skins/elegance folder? If not, that's probably your problem. It would be defaulting to the one in default_tpls. If it's not there, then all you have to do is upload it from the eFiction download.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2009 4:24 am
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

No it's there I found it. I didn't know it was stylecss and was looking for just css. I found it but I don't understand most of it. I don't see anyplace to change the authors/members or categories from horizontal to verticle. I also want to seperate stories a bit on the index page. They are too close together.

anenduringlove.net

They are too close together on the index page of zenlike and elegence. I'd like to put at least a space between them but maybe a bar? I can't figure out how to do this. Is there a wiki or a code you can give me?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2009 5:37 am
itanshi
(@itanshi)
Reputable Member

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/css/ might help. I hadn't memorized everything about css, but you need to test changes until it works, so keep a backup copy at all times. I also recommend firebug extension for firefox for test editing.

I am rebuilding efiction! Join us on irc! #efiction at www.mibbit.com Instructions for irc 😀 Alpha released!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2009 2:09 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I'm not sure if you can switch them from horizontal to vertical, but you could probably put more padding between them. Separating the stories on the index page will be a little easier. What's your most recent block set to? Default, or use .tpl? (I'm guessing default.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2009 5:19 pm
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

actually i put it in the index.tpl. I was afraid to touch anything that said default because from searching the forums I've seen several times people say not to touch default.

Dana

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2009 7:38 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

It's fine to leave it as default. I always do, so I'm not actually 100% on how the "use .tpl" works, actually. But how come you didn't just put {recent_title} and {recent_content} in there? If you do it that way then you get the option of using the limiter provided in Admin > Blocks > Options for "recent," for one thing. The way you have it, your most recent on the front page is identical to the Most Recent page itself ( http://www.anenduringlove.net/browse.php?type=recent) which means it's going to use the site-wide items per page instead. Not sure if you want that.

What I would suggest for your index page is this:

<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : header -->
<div id="leftindex">

<div class="block">
<div class="tl"><div class="tr">
<div class="title">{info_title}</div>
</div></div>
<div class="content">{info_content}<br>{login_content}</div> 
</div>

<div class="block">
<div class="title">{online_title}</div>
  </div></div>
<div class="content">{online_content}</div>
    </div>

<div class="block">
<div class="title">{random_title}</div>
</div></div>
<div class="content">{random_content}</div> 
</div>

</div>

<div id="rightindex">

<div class="block">
    <div class="title">{poll_title}</div>
    </div></div>
      <div class="content">{poll_content}</div>
    </div>

<div class="block">
      <div class="title">{featured_title}</div>
      </div></div>
      <div class="content">{featured_content}</div>
</div>

</div>

<div id="middleindex">

<div class="block">
<div class="title">Welcome!</div>
</div></div>
      <div class="content">{welcome}</div>
    </div>

<div class="block">
<div class="title">{recent_title}</div>
</div></div>
<div class="content">{recent_content}</div>
</div>

<div class="block">
    {news_content}<div style='text-align: center'>{newsarchive}</div>
</div>

</div>
<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : footer -->

The divs were kind of all over the place, so make sure everything looks good. I don't have all the same blocks active on my test site.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2009 9:23 pm
Carissa
(@carissa)
Member Moderator

You can spread out the columns in the author listings. To do so add this to the bottom of your style.css file in the elegance folder:

.column {width: 24% !important;}
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2009 12:55 am
DanaRose31382
(@danarose31382)
Trusted Member

Thank you both so much! I'll try working on it tonight and if I have any more problems I'll get back to you! 🙂

Dana

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/07/2009 1:20 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: