Forum

Notifications
Clear all

New Site Name Ideas

Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Hey I was just wondering if anyone has any favorite 'eloquent' words or any ideas for a new site name... 🙄

Topic starter Posted : 26/09/2009 9:39 am
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

original fiction or in a specific fandom?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2009 6:57 pm
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Actually a general fanfiction hub site that doesn't host actual stories themselves but rather for the purpose of fanfiction readers/site owners.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/09/2009 7:13 pm
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

FanPortal, FanHub, FanGathering?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2009 11:07 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Nothing is ever as simple as it first appears

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2010 3:37 am
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

Hm, I've still been playing with name ideas as my domain will be expiring soon. I just don't want to use 'fan' alone because I don't want the site to be associated with celeb sites.

I don't know if this is too cliche or not, but...Inky Pen, Inky Quill. Inkd Fiction (sounds too much like rock/tattoo stuff?) I don't want it to be to similar to ink.nu!

Or I was thinking something creative like fideli.us (Harry Potter specific, "charm involving secret information hidden within the soul of a Secret-Keeper. This information is irretrievable until the Secret-Keeper chooses to reveal it; those who have the secret revealed to them cannot reveal it to others.")

FicFavs for a fanfiction topsite/digg-like site.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/02/2010 7:13 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I also have trouble with coming up with names. I just registered fan-fare.org, but I don't know what I'm going to do with it exactly. (I wanted the .net but someone who sells handmade fans already took it.)

What do you mean by a hub for readers/site owners? Is it like a listing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2010 5:41 pm
Becca
(@becca)
Honorable Member

A plethora of things, a listing, like an admin site for fanfiction site owners, a resource site basically. I found that hyphenated domains don't do so well, I'm trying to go with something non-hyphenated (x-nay on the inked-pen or inked-quill me thinks).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/02/2010 6:07 pm
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

fideli.us

I REALLY like that one! But it may be restricting.

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2010 7:12 pm
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

I second that. It might not make sense to the non-HP crowd, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2010 2:56 am
Tammy
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Might be worth it to snag it for a HP archive though if you're  so inclined.  You could expand the scope to similar works (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Lemony Snicket, etc)

Here's one I'm thinking about doing: www. multiverselibrary.com.  Possibly as a competitor to The Pit or as an archive specializing in crossovers, but I'm still thinking about  If I went the crossover route, I'm thinking of creating a whole mythos around this mythical place called the multiverse library where everything that could have happened is recorded (a universal record if you will) and encouraging authors to submit not only the crossovers, but stories about their fandom visiting/using the library.  Sort of like the Callahan's Bar or Captain's Bar (Star Trek book series) idea.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2010 2:58 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hm, I've still been playing with name ideas as my domain will be expiring soon. I just don't want to use 'fan' alone because I don't want the site to be associated with celeb sites.

I don't know if this is too cliche or not, but...Inky Pen, Inky Quill. Inkd Fiction (sounds too much like rock/tattoo stuff?) I don't want it to be to similar to ink.nu!

Or I was thinking something creative like fideli.us (Harry Potter specific, "charm involving secret information hidden within the soul of a Secret-Keeper. This information is irretrievable until the Secret-Keeper chooses to reveal it; those who have the secret revealed to them cannot reveal it to others.")

FicFavs for a fanfiction topsite/digg-like site.

Oh goodness, as a Harry Potter nerd I have to say that fideli.us is an EPIC site name, I don’t know how no one has ever used it! I laughed out loud when I read it- congratulations on being clever. You could work ‘secret keeper’ into the tagline! But is the site Potter only? If it is just general fiction, here are some bad ideas ending in .us from me-
Fictioncirc.us
Simultaneo.us <- because it’s posted elsewhere?
FanFictionExod.us
Thesaur.us <- doesn’t work, but it does end in us!
I tried to think of one with famous or infamous, but I’m out of ideas!

By the way, Tammy, that is a crazy interesting idea, and my mind is reeling with the possibilities.  So there could be, it theory, a fic where the X-men all attend Hogwarts and then set up an internet connection in the room of requirement and read a Lord of the Rings/Howls Moving Castle crossover (written within the story? Or a separate story written by someone else?) that was so entertaining, it could effect the plot in the original story…  And in the forums (please be forums) authors could post in character between updates to keep people interested and be cannon with the story as it is progressing…
Or maybe I just completely misunderstood the idea! (likely)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2011 11:16 am
Share: