3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Sheepy (may I call you Sheepy?)

I've been thinking a lot about what I'd like to see as part of the new eFiction, but after trying to create a new skin (with some added functionality) I think my biggest wish would be for the new software to have a framework. That is, a identifiable method and way of coding that allows people to see what's happening easily.

For example, where I worked we (and I use the term 'we' in the team sense - I didn't actually program anything) used a framework called Fusebox. So, although I didn't cut code, I could figure out what bit of code did what and change whatever was necessary without having to get into the guts of the thing. Also, in that framework or method, instead of code (for say, a title or author links) being duplicated throughout a program, a "fuse" or single bit of code was called where required. Even the naming convention of the codey bits gave a hint as to what did what.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you Fusebox your code, but I would ask that you consider "fusing" or "widgetising" the code where possible.

So, although it's not a feature in the end user sense, it would certainly be a feature in the developer of plugins sense.

I hope this made sense. I don't want to tell you how to program (you may already be using a system, if so disregard this whole post). And let me know if you don't want to be called Sheepy.  :unsure:

Sue

Posted : 19/05/2014 7:43 am
(@sheepcontrol)
Reputable Member

Hi Sue,

if you know Johnny Cash, you may know why I am smiling right now - and yes, Sheepy works.

I know what you mean by framework, I've been looking at quite a few that are considered possible, but in most situations I figured that we'd spend more time on installation support for the framework than on anything else, not because stupid but because quantum physics sounds easier.

I am using some framework of my own, for example there are classes for template and database, so instead of writing something on screnn you "simply" (within reason) pick a template block, assign content and throw it back at the template engine, job done.
Same goes for error handling, to some extent.

This is, however, not set in stone, but this whole step would have to be worth it.

Posted : 20/05/2014 4:32 pm
 Sue
(@sue)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That sounds just to go, Sheepy! Thanks.

I have Johnny Cash on my ipod. Just saying.

Posted : 22/05/2014 3:38 am
Share: