Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Old links? Module redirect to the rescue!

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sheepcontrol)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Cheers!

Thought I'd drop a note of what I am doing right now - as stated somewhere else, I am enjoying holidays, and weather does not disappoint, today's rain gave me time to work on "project save old links/bookmarks".

Ok, what does it do?

It's a feature that will ensure old links and bookmarks will still work after upgrading to eFiction 5, usually that would not be the case, since the entire engine running the script has changed, but mod_rewrite (Apache) to the rescue, using .htaccess and a parser module with a translation matrix.

English, please?

Let's assume you had a bookmark to http://awesomefanfic.mars/viewstory.php?sid=1701&chapter=4, the server would figure this is an old URL, and send you to http://awesomefanfic.mars/?action=redirect&source=viewstory&sid=17&chapter=5. At that point, visitors will be informed that this page is now running a new version and remind to update bookmarks and links, and then redirect to the "proper" URL.

Meaning, that although everything would change once updating, bookmarks and links would still work - hope you will love it πŸ™‚

Now, back to work - I promised a first look this year before fall, and time is running. (Should anyone here have to powers to manipulate the time-space continuum, let me know).

Posted : 07/08/2014 6:02 pm
(@banshee)
Member Admin

Funky monkeys!

Would it be possible to just have a bar at the top of the redirected page saying that it's a new URL etc (maybe with the ability to dismiss the message), or does it have to go to the redirect page first? Do visitors need to click on the redirect page to continue?

eFiction Archives: Tom Paris Dorm | Twice Bitten | Underground

Posted : 10/08/2014 7:49 pm
(@sheepcontrol)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Visitors get to see a redirect page the first time it happens, there they can mark a checkbox saying "Don't show again" and will be redirected straight trough from this time on.

I think it's not too inconvenient to click this thing one, and on the other hand might save some asking about what happened and so on.
Might consider modifying the behaviour in the admin panel, coming SOON(TM)

Posted : 11/08/2014 5:02 am
(@banshee)
Member Admin

Ah, so that's what you were talking about the other day when you mentioned Apache re-write. Awesome.
Sounds great!

eFiction Archives: Tom Paris Dorm | Twice Bitten | Underground

Posted : 11/08/2014 5:06 am
(@sheepcontrol)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, I think it will make quite a bunch of people happy, knowing how much I hate it when new/changes software instantly renders all links and bookmarks into digital scrap.

Posted : 11/08/2014 5:10 am
(@sheepcontrol)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

F3 changed their framework behavior, so I had to alter the rewrite - this time it's even slimmer  :cool2:

Posted : 20/01/2017 4:59 am
Share: