Notifications
Clear all

eFiction database: how large is yours?

21 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tammy)
Member Moderator

Comments from all along this thread as I've been away a couple days....

Don't use "stories" as the name of the folder and you'll keep almost everyone out of the files.  A robots.txt and .htaccess are also good solutions.  In the case of .htaccess to prevent image access, remember that's also where any images the author/user has uploaded will be stored.  In regards to using an .htaccess to steal the skins, a knowledgeable person can do it just by using "view source".

I would also recommend the file storage method.  The only real advantage of database storage versus file storage is database storage is slightly more secure and sometimes necessary with certain server setups.  If you choose the database storage method, your sql queries will be longer and therefore take longer.

Posted : 23/08/2009 11:24 pm
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

In regards to using an .htaccess to steal the skins, a knowledgeable person can do it just by using "view source".

I wasn't fussed about people being able to get to them via view source, just annoyed that some people were directly accessing the .tpl files and copying pasting and saving... no work on their part except for copying the tpl coding. :/

Thank you for the comments! πŸ™‚

(Getting stuff set up now. Wooh.)

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! πŸ™‚

Posted : 24/08/2009 9:49 am
(@calash)
Estimable Member

76.14 MB per cPanel.  That includes vBulletin as well.

I use Database storage.  I pulled my info block so I can not tell you how many stories/chapters

The World of Necrotania - Story Writing Community

Posted : 27/08/2009 2:29 pm
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

FTR: for those who go for file storage method -- how do you back-up your stories automatically? i.e. With cron jobs = databases! Not just "FTP = sync mode = download."

I'm sure there was some sort of syncing script going on but I'm not sure where it is.

Posted : 05/01/2010 12:48 pm
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

To be honest, I haven't found something that can do it automatically for the JB archive.

It's so freakin' big that it takes hours to do by FTP and the server always wants to close the connection. We only backup every other month or so because the dump is several gigs. I realize it would be faster to do by ssh, but our server has so many 'security features' that it's almost impossible to work with.

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

Posted : 05/01/2010 7:10 pm
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

It makes me smile that the Jonas Brothers FF archive is one of the biggest out there! πŸ™‚ Hmmm. SSH. Hadn't thought of that.

Posted : 06/01/2010 8:12 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: