Forum

Notifications
Clear all

[MODULE] ePubVersion

Page 4 / 9
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Just installed version 1.2 and it's looking good. A couple small things I noticed (I didn't see these reported, but I might have missed, also let me know if there's another place you'd like me to post stuff like this):

-The chapter notes are blending directly into the beginning of the chapter. Example:

chapter notes story text

The pictures that appear linked in the text are my own. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to scan my London pictures. I’m a city girl, so I don’t know what possessed me to write about cowboys. Brazilian cowboys, no less. Those who actually know anything about the subject, please try to ignore my ignorance! When Ginny was a little girl, she had been full of dreams.

(From http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6065)

-There is some problems with special characters, like á. They turn into ?. These are ones that appear normal in HTML, not the HTML number version. (Which is probably why, and not a huge deal except perhaps to foreign language archives.) It also goes ? on ’ which is the apostrophe.

-These one won't work:
http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6599&chapter=1
http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=5705&chapter=1
Possibly because there is a question mark in the chapter title?

-Lastly it seems to be putting a coauthor of Megh on some (not all) of the ePubs. She's uid = 1. I think this may be a greater eFiction problem, though. I'm still on 3.5.1.

I am using PURE and mod_rewrite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2011 4:59 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Just to check back, the mystery coauthor thing is not due to the module. For a while with one version, the coauthors column in fanfiction_stories wasn't flipping back to 0 when coauthors were deleted. I was apparently testing that with my stories a lot, so that field is set to 1 on several even though none are coauthored, and when it's not finding any records in fanfiction_coauthors I think it's picking uid 1. But it shouldn't be the case for too many people that they have removed a coauthor from a story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2011 6:42 am
Piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

Just installed version 1.2 and it's looking good. A couple small things I noticed (I didn't see these reported, but I might have missed, also let me know if there's another place you'd like me to post stuff like this):

-The chapter notes are blending directly into the beginning of the chapter. Example:

chapter notes story text

The pictures that appear linked in the text are my own. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to scan my London pictures. I’m a city girl, so I don’t know what possessed me to write about cowboys. Brazilian cowboys, no less. Those who actually know anything about the subject, please try to ignore my ignorance! When Ginny was a little girl, she had been full of dreams.

(From http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6065)

I will look into this, I think I might have fixed it in the latest developmental version that's not been released yet.

-There is some problems with special characters, like á. They turn into ?. These are ones that appear normal in HTML, not the HTML number version. (Which is probably why, and not a huge deal except perhaps to foreign language archives.) It also goes ? on ’ which is the apostrophe.

I've not seen this myself, except for in testing with my Drupal Module version of EPV. I chocked it down to locale encoding issues.... ePUB wants UTF but maybe if you aren't worried about strict encoding, I can make encoding select-able in the admin menu.

-These one won't work:
http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=6599&chapter=1
http://www.dracoandginny.com/viewstory.php?sid=5705&chapter=1
Possibly because there is a question mark in the chapter title?

Yes, you are correct. This is a known fault I've found and fixed. Well, when I say fixed, what I mean is that I've put in a filter to detect and remove any characters that may cause issues in the meta information.

-Lastly it seems to be putting a coauthor of Megh on some (not all) of the ePubs. She's uid = 1. I think this may be a greater eFiction problem, though. I'm still on 3.5.1.

I am using PURE and mod_rewrite.

I've noticed this error, on my main site, but none of my test sites, and none of the other users have reported it. Thanks for researching it and figuring it out. 🙂

For everyone, I'm sorry I've been lax in updating. I've had another project that is on the cusp of being heavily funded, and that took presidence.

I've been poking at this off and on but not doing any major work, but I'm hunkering down now getting ready for the next major release of the script.

There are MANY MANY new features, not just bug fixes in the next release.

I hope to do more reports soon, and as always, the best place to get replies is @ http://storyportal.net

=HuGgLeS=
-P/KAF/PT

StoryPortal Fiction Network - StoryPortal.Net
TG Fiction dot NET | T* Fiction Archive - TGFiction.Net
LG Tales | TG Style Fiction for LG's - LGTales.Com

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/05/2011 9:40 am
Lyndsie
(@lyndsie)
Member Moderator

Sounds good, thanks for replying. I'm looking forward to the next update!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2011 7:16 am
bsky92
(@bsky92)

Hi

I'd like to have this option on my site, but it seems I've messed with something in the installation ...

Here are the errors I get when visualizing one story

Notice: Constant _UNINSTALLWARNING already defined in /home/jagenlig/www/efic/modules/epubversion/languages/en.php on line 35

Notice: Use of undefined constant epub - assumed 'epub' in /home/jagenlig/www/efic/modules/epubversion/storyblock.php on line 36

Notice: Use of undefined constant epub - assumed 'epub' in /home/jagenlig/www/efic/modules/epubversion/storyblock.php on line 36

I do not have tidy on my server but I used the "pure" option, it seems to work fine, but I can't get the ebook on my ipad. But then I'm running this morning to the Applestore as my device is running weird 🙁
I just visualized the file in calibre, it seems to be ok, so I just need to understand what all these notice are about

Any idea?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2011 7:36 am
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

We've got an issue with my Dreamhost hosted sites where it only creates an ePub of the first chapter. Everything else works wonderfully.

I did have to set the ignore cache to true in order to get it to work on Dreamhost, so maybe that's what's screwing things up?

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2011 3:43 pm
Piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

We've got an issue with my Dreamhost hosted sites where it only creates an ePub of the first chapter. Everything else works wonderfully.

I did have to set the ignore cache to true in order to get it to work on Dreamhost, so maybe that's what's screwing things up?

Quick reply.... If you are using Mod_ReWrite for search friendly URL's try disabling them. That might cause a problem with the ngnix proxy that dreamhost uses. Beyond that, I'm still looking for other issues.

-P/KAF/PT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/06/2011 1:28 am
Piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

I'm looking on doing a pre-charset conversion, converting the strings to html-entities, before doing the UTF-8 conversion, or possibly doing my own charset conversion outside of Tidy/Pure

-P/KAF/PT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/06/2011 5:12 am
Piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

Hi

I'd like to have this option on my site, but it seems I've messed with something in the installation ...

Notice: Constant _UNINSTALLWARNING already defined in /home/jagenlig/www/efic/modules/epubversion/languages/en.php on line 35

I do not have tidy on my server but I used the "pure" option, it seems to work fine, but I can't get the ebook on my ipad. But then I'm running this morning to the Applestore as my device is running weird 🙁
I just visualized the file in calibre, it seems to be ok, so I just need to understand what all these notice are about

Any idea?

Can you tell me what version of ePubVersion you are running?

the first warning references something that doesn't exist in my language file, the 2nd and 3rd should be taken care of in my beta code that I should be releasing soon.

-P/KAF/PT

P.S. I will be relasing a Beta/RC publicly (as opposed to privately to certain users) this time, so that we can refine some things and look for which errors are resolved since I have so many reports at once, and only a few that I can replicate myself.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/06/2011 6:36 am
bsky92
(@bsky92)

Hi

This is the version I'm running
ePubVersion v1.2 for eFiction 3.x

I also have the foreign language issues, all éàè and so on, that we so much love in french 🙂 are just gone, which makes then the all fanfic in frech not readable 🙁 At least it's working for the english part of the site, but the I was wondering if it would be better with Tidy on ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/06/2011 9:05 am
kali
 kali
(@kali)
Reputable Member

Quick reply.... If you are using Mod_ReWrite for search friendly URL's try disabling them. That might cause a problem with the ngnix proxy that dreamhost uses. Beyond that, I'm still looking for other issues.

I don't think that's going on, but maybe it's Dreamhost's Extra Security option that's screwing with things.

Skins made by Kali are no longer supported!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/06/2011 6:31 pm
IzDoodle
(@izdoodle)
Estimable Member

Hi Piper,

I absolutely love the idea of this mod. Many of my members have asked for something like this, so I DL'd the V1.2 last night and installed it on my test site. It looks great, but I've run into a few issues, and I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or just not getting. I was hoping you could help me figure out what I might be doing wrong?  🙁

First issue: I noticed when I installed it that all stories were set to "Yes" instead of "No" to allow publishing. I'm not sure if that is something you changed, but I didn't see anywhere in the Admin panel to change this.  😐

Second: This might not be an issue, but I wanted to point this out. On my actual site, I have it set where you have to be logged in to read and review stories. I set the admin option to NOT allow non-logged in members to DL the stories. This is my test site and is set to maintenance mode, therefore, I am obviously logged in when viewing a story. When I had it set to this and tried to download a story, it gave me a message that non-logged in members couldn't DL ePub files. Since I require all members to be logged in to read a story anyway, this shouldn't be an issue for me, but I still wanted to let you know that it was doing that on my end. Not sure if that helps. I only wanted the option to download the story inside of the actual story and not on the listings page.

Third: This might be an error on my part, being as I do not own an actual eReader, but I do have Kindle, Nook and Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop since I have apps on my phone that allow me to read from them anyway. I did a test download of the epub file last night, but when I tried to add it to Nook (which obviously takes epub format) it wouldn't show up at all. I could upload it to Adobe, but all I got was a blank doc. Am I just not using the right software to view it or did I do something wrong in the install?  😕

I do not have TINY or Mod_Rewrite on either site, and the test site is efcition v 3.5.3. The actual site is 3.5.2 I believe. I need to update it, I just haven't yet. I'll do that before I install this mod there. I spent some time on your site last night to see how it all worked, and loved what you did with it BTW.

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong or it it's a glitch, but I was hoping you could help me figure this out. Again, this is on my test site, so I haven't went live with it yet. I do have a test account on that site if you'd like to take a look at it.
http://www.twiwritetest.com

Thanks  😀

http://www.twiwrite.net
Where Your Imagination Can Run Free
18+ TwiWrite Fan Fiction Archives.
efiction vs.3.5.2
SQL vs. 5.0.77
PHP vs. 5.2.2
Happily soaking up any and all php, tpl, and html knowledge I can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2011 9:41 pm
bsky92
(@bsky92)

Hi Piper

do you have any idea when you'll release the next version and if it will handle the problems with quotes and such non english ponctuation or accents ? The fanfictions in french on my site can't just be readed in ebook, and my users - who did not ask for this feature before 🙁 - love it so much now for the english fics that Iµ need to find a way to get something to them. So I'm wondering if I wait for your new version or ....

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2011 5:50 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Hi

Any idea?

I have the same errors, I hope in the new release 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2011 2:15 am
Piper
(@piper)
Trusted Member

Sorry for the delay, I'm upgrading the version of Tidy that ePub version uses, as well as the core ePub PHP class.

The new version should be released within the coming days (at least in the form of an RC for testing). I'm trying to add support for additional charset which should help with non English language story issues.

-P/KAf/PT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/06/2011 8:58 am
Page 4 / 9
Share: