Up for adoption

· 3 · 670

artphilia

• Artphilia Designs
    • Artphilia's Blog
Up for adoption
« on: June 07, 2020, 06:29:30 pm »
Well, a few of you might have seen it coming. We have moved on. We have a lot of stuff going on in our lives, so that we don't have the time nor the energy left, to keep the eFiction Software and it's website, forum etc. up and running. We will keep the domain(s) up and running until the end of the year, after that it will be gone forever, unless someone is willing to take over from where Sheepy has left version 5 so far.

So eFiction is up for adoption! There will be no more bug fixes or updates of any kind from our site.

Thanks for your understanding!

Artphilia and Sheepy

bob15

Re: Up for adoption
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 10:09:42 pm »
We can host the old files to 3.x  for dl if no one adopts the website.   

I don't do this particular coding language and don't want to host a forum again but if someone would help convert old topics for 3.x to a help guide or something we could host that.

artphilia

• Artphilia Designs
    • Artphilia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »
It's not a question of hosting. We do not want to support or update the software anymore. So we need someone to take over the whole project.

Ariane

• Infinite diversity in infinite combinations
    • So Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 05:34:40 pm »
Sad news   :down: but can't say I'm surprised, and I totally understand! Thank you for keeping eFiction going for all this time! Without you two it'd have come to an end much sooner.

Jimmi

• HP Preklady
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:08:04 pm »
This is sad news just when I fell in love with the efiction script (version 3). 

Nevermind, I just wanted to tell you that I am offering my help.  I have already fixed 3x version on Github and  I use it with a combination of e107 CMS and old Nuke tables. e107 should be able to import the SMF forum (I don't have a database to test this) and use efiction users.  It is only my personal preference, but I wouldn't use anything related to WordPress for our fanfiction site, but I understand that somebody needs their features.

And because I had built our new site on efiction just this year, I will continue with version 3 (bugs and fixes) for some years for sure. So if anybody needs help with their site, I could help.

But at least, thank you for all your work. 

Tsukasa

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 11:56:03 am »
It is only my personal preference, but I wouldn't use anything related to WordPress for our fanfiction site, but I understand that somebody needs their features.
Hard agree with this.

Sheepcontrol

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 04:45:47 pm »
Hi, this is culprit #1.

I took over eFiction 3 decades - as is feels - ago after it was left with no one else to feed it and give it shelter.
Me and my wife soon decided that it had reached the end of its development life, working into somebody else's code is always a tricky thing.

So eFiction 5 was born and it was a joy to work on it - except it wasn't because it didn't kick off as expected, had a few major backlashes and turned into a duty, an unending list of chores.
For the longest time I didn't want to accept the fact that this project was bigger than me, regarding it had to share time and space with work, family and the little things in life called joy that have to take place every now and then. And my garden that looks like death valley, on the worse of days. I tried to push myself again and again, but everytime I did, the effect was worse and it took more time away to be able to get back to working on it, eventually resulting in a hiatus that has now been ... what, a year-ish?

So here we are, I hope we can find a new maintainer that can do something good with the project and maybe even move further than I have been able to. I have forked the project in it's current status and may, at some point continue my work, but this fork will be purely for fun and away from any expectations or hopes.

I feel like I let a lot of people down, I am sorry, but this isn't working and has become toxic to a point where I can barely open this forum without feeling sick. This is not due to anybody else but me, so this is NOT a blame gun firing into the crowd. I did this to myself and need to cut myself lose ... no, not before I drown, it's not that bad. It's more like a relation that has gone sour and I am now going out the door.

Thank you all for giving me this chance, sorry for not living up to the hopes and godspeed to all of you.
Fanfiction prevails!
I speak the worlds most widely used language: bad english

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:10:06 pm »
Is there anyone here who wants to adopt the site who would be willing to help me edit a couple things on my (deceased) friend's hpfanficarchive.com website?

I am committed to keeping it running; however, there is a banner that I would like changed and I have no idea how to do it.

I will check back if you'd like to PM me.

Thanks