• November 17, 2018, 05:16:49 am
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: It's been a while since we started working on eFiction 5, there's been a lot of starting from scratch and half-scratch, but things are moving on.
Now we need you: please visit the eFicition 5 section of the forum and raise your voice, shape the new face of your favourite fanfiction management software.

Author Topic: Site hacked: Can't view user or stories  (Read 4516 times)

iamfez

Site hacked: Can't view user or stories
« on: October 15, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
My site got hacked and all the authors folders in the stories folder was erased.

I'm moving my site to another server and I had a lot of it backed up on hard drive (files not mysql) so I re-uploaded everything to my new server - changed the settings of the new server/database on dbconfig and config files, added the stories folder again, but now when I click on the story it doesn't show up and neither does the reviews - only the file without any text. If you click on an author it doesn't show any of their details, and if you click on a category it remains at the list of categories and won't take you to a certain one.

Can someone help out? I have over 100 stories in the archive and I don't want to lost them before I upgrade to eFiction 2.0

Carissa

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
Re: Site hacked: Can't view user or stories
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:41:24 pm »
Please provide us with a link. Also, it is strongly encouraged that you upgrade to 2.0. Switching servers won't keep you from being hacked again. 1.1 is outdated and full security holes that leave you vulnearable to attack again (and btw, unless you changed your url when you moved, you will be hacked again. Think of them like a cat playing with a mouse--once they find you they keep swating at you until you're dead.)

iamfez

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 10:04:58 pm »
Yeah, I plan on updating once I've got this problem fixed.

This is the new server link:

http://kanekirsty.dreamhosters.com/stories/

I know the banner is missing, but like I said I'm moving everything at the moment.

Carissa

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 12:22:16 am »
Your new server does not have register_globals on. 1.1 requires that they be on or it won't work. 2.0 does not, so if you're going to upgrade, then go ahead and do it now, then we can fix any leftover problems. I don't think you'll have any problems with the upgrade, just make sure you have a current backup of your database.

iamfez

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:59:02 pm »
Thanks, it's working now! :D

babaca

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • babaca fanfics
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:27:07 pm »
Looks like the stories you have posted as Most Recent/Updated aren't appearing, but the other stories that are in featured seem to work fine.
Mucking around in eFiction since circa 2001 (ver. 1.0)
Now running v.3

iamfez

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:51 pm »
I hadn't backed the site up in a while (stupid I know) and when the site got hacked all the stories were erased. So I'll have to email the authors and get them to edit the missing stories with new text.

anything