Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Creating a Private One-User Archive

hjbender
(@hjbender)
Eminent Member

Greetings, friends!

For years I've been using eFiction as my own personal fiction archive, as you can see here. By adjusting user settings on the admin end and making some crude code adjustments (such as removing all the links that allow one to register), I've ended up with pretty private library, so I believe. It's a jury-rig at best, but it works for me.

Recently I updated (successfully) to 3.5.3 and have all the code as "privatized" as I need it; however, there are certain things that aren't useful to me and I'm baffled as to how to cut them out. Well, actually, it's just one thing: the report function.

I have anonymous reviews turned on for any reader who might be passing through and wants to leave some feedback. These folks don't really need to report--just read. When viewing a story, the report link in "jumpmenu2" and in brackets beside the Table of Contents is superfluous, but no matter what I try, I just cannot seem to get rid of those pieces of code. Editing the TPLs and PHP yield nothing. I'm not doing something right, I know, but I need someone to point it out to me.

That said, could and would somebody please instruct me on how to a) remove the bracketed "Report This" link by the ToC and b) remove the whole jumpmenu2 or at least the "Report This" link in the jumpmenu2. Many, many thanks.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but are there any future plans in the upcoming version for having a "solo author only" setting for eFiction?  I'm sure it would make many prolific (or self-centered) authors very happy indeed. :biggrin:

Thanks for looking!

Topic starter Posted : 24/09/2014 7:30 am
SJP
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

You need to go into your default_tpls folder and open up viewstory.tpl.
Here is what you have now:

<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : header -->
<div id="pagetitle">{title} by {author}</div>
<div class="storyinfo"> [{reviews} - {numreviews}]<br />
{toc} {reportthis}<br />
{printicon} <br />
{adminlinks} </div>
<div class="jumpmenu">{textsizer}{jumpmenu}</div>
<!-- START BLOCK : storynotes -->
<div class='notes'>
<div class='title'><span class='label'>Story Notes:</span></div>
<div class='noteinfo'>{storynotes}</div>
</div>
<!-- END BLOCK : storynotes -->
<!-- START BLOCK : notes -->
<div class='notes'><div class='title'><span class='label'>Author's Chapter Notes:</span></div><div class='noteinfo'>{notes}</div></div>
<!-- END BLOCK : notes -->
<div id="story">{story}</div>
<!-- START BLOCK : endnotes -->
<div class='notes'><div class='title'><span class='label'>Chapter End Notes:</span></div><div class='noteinfo'>{endnotes}</div></div>
<!-- END BLOCK : endnotes -->
<div id="prev">{prev}</div><div id="next">{next}</div>
<div class="jumpmenu2">{jumpmenu2}</div>
<div class="respond">{addtofaves} {roundrobin}</div>
{reviewform}
<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : footer -->

To remove the Report This link and Jumpmenu2, just change it to this:

<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : header -->
<div id="pagetitle">{title} by {author}</div>
<div class="storyinfo"> [{reviews} - {numreviews}]<br />
{toc}<br />
{printicon} <br />
{adminlinks} </div>
<div class="jumpmenu">{textsizer}{jumpmenu}</div>
<!-- START BLOCK : storynotes -->
<div class='notes'>
<div class='title'><span class='label'>Story Notes:</span></div>
<div class='noteinfo'>{storynotes}</div>
</div>
<!-- END BLOCK : storynotes -->
<!-- START BLOCK : notes -->
<div class='notes'><div class='title'><span class='label'>Author's Chapter Notes:</span></div><div class='noteinfo'>{notes}</div></div>
<!-- END BLOCK : notes -->
<div id="story">{story}</div>
<!-- START BLOCK : endnotes -->
<div class='notes'><div class='title'><span class='label'>Chapter End Notes:</span></div><div class='noteinfo'>{endnotes}</div></div>
<!-- END BLOCK : endnotes -->
<div id="prev">{prev}</div><div id="next">{next}</div>
<div class="respond">{addtofaves} {roundrobin}</div>
{reviewform}
<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK : footer -->
ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2014 4:58 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

###

Also, I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but are there any future plans in the upcoming version for having a "solo author only" setting for eFiction?  I'm sure it would make many prolific (or self-centered) authors very happy indeed. :biggrin:

Thanks for looking!

Well, that could either be an option to not allow others to register or an option to not allow users to be authors, something like that. Haven't actually thought of something like that, but now that we're talking, other user participation is ok, like write comments/reviews and stuff?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2014 6:09 pm
hjbender
(@hjbender)
Eminent Member

SJP:

Thanks for replying! I've already tried removing the code in the TPL exactly as you mentioned (and overwriting it in the upload), but it fails to yield any change. (I just tried it from my work computer, just in case there was a problem at home--still no dice.) I'm not sure why the edits on the TPL aren't working. Would CHMOD be the problem? Right now viewstory.tpl is 705. (My two FTP programs are Filezilla and WinSCP.)

I've even tried removing this bit of code from the viewstory.php file, but still no change:

$tpl->assign("reportthis", "[<a href="""._BASEDIR."contact.php?action=report&amp;url=viewstory.php?chapid=$chapid">"._REPORTTHIS."</a>"]");

$jumpmenu2 .= "<option value="contact.php?action=report&amp;url=viewstory.php?chapid=$chapid">"._REPORTTHIS."</option>";

Now, it might be possible that I've screwed some other file up by messing with the code (it's not entirely impossible), so if nothing seems to work, I can do a fresh re-write of all the modified files, then start from scratch. That might be my best option right now...  :confused:

Sheepcontrol:

Yes, having registration closed sounds more like what I'm trying to create with this "private archive" thing. So basically users (more like "viewers") can leave reviews and/or comments, but be unable to send reports and officially "join" the archive. (Of course, some folks may want registered commentators--me, I don't care, but that's probably wiser when it comes to crowd and spam control.) Thanks for the response and consideration! :biggrin:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/09/2014 7:10 pm
Sheepcontrol
(@sheepcontrol)
Member Admin

Coincidence maybe, but I was getting to work on the user groups lately, so I split between users (that can write comments, receive replies and PM) and authors (obvious), and the admin can decide whether a user can become author simply by creating a story or if the admin has to grant this permission (or not, in your case).

That brings the convenience of registered members together with your need to bar people from posting stories.

Regarding the CHMOD: Under PHP, this is a bit overrated, as long as you can write the files and the webserver can read them (obviously it can), then they will be ok. 705 is a bit weird, 644 would be more usual, but I doubt that has any influence on your problem.

Sorry, despite building the new version, I can't help much with the current version.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2014 1:16 am
SJP
 SJP
(@sjp)
Trusted Member

SJP:

Thanks for replying! I've already tried removing the code in the TPL exactly as you mentioned (and overwriting it in the upload), but it fails to yield any change. (I just tried it from my work computer, just in case there was a problem at home--still no dice.) I'm not sure why the edits on the TPL aren't working. Would CHMOD be the problem? Right now viewstory.tpl is 705. (My two FTP programs are Filezilla and WinSCP.)

I've even tried removing this bit of code from the viewstory.php file, but still no change:

$tpl->assign("reportthis", "[<a href="""._BASEDIR."contact.php?action=report&amp;url=viewstory.php?chapid=$chapid">"._REPORTTHIS."</a>"]");

$jumpmenu2 .= "<option value="contact.php?action=report&amp;url=viewstory.php?chapid=$chapid">"._REPORTTHIS."</option>";

Now, it might be possible that I've screwed some other file up by messing with the code (it's not entirely impossible), so if nothing seems to work, I can do a fresh re-write of all the modified files, then start from scratch. That might be my best option right now...  :confused:

Does your skin have a viewstory.tpl file that is overriding the one in the default_tpls folder?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2014 12:33 am
hjbender
(@hjbender)
Eminent Member

SJP: I read your comment and literally did one of these: :ohboy:

Yes, I forgot all about the skin TPLs (it's been a while since I've done anything with skins, and I completely forgot), but that's what my problem was (I'll do a proper test once I get home). Derp. Well, if anyone is unfortunate enough to be as absentminded as me, this thread ought to be of some help.

Thank you for your help, SJP and Sheepcontrol! :biggrin:

Here's another (possibly dumb) question: Is there any way to have large numbers depicted with the appropriate commas (or periods for Europeans)? Like in your stats, story views, etc. I've got some rather big numbers in my archive and I think they'd be easier to read with commas.

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/09/2014 9:39 pm
Elle
 Elle
(@jenny)
Honorable Member

Sure. Use the number_format() function. We use it extensively at our archive. It does make things a lot easier to read!

archive: dramione.org
site: accio.nu

Available for skin/mod commission! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/10/2014 11:20 pm
hjbender
(@hjbender)
Eminent Member

Thanks, Elle! But which PHP file(s) would I need to edit, and what would the original code look like?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/10/2014 4:16 pm
Share: