• June 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News: It's been a while since we started working on eFiction 5, there's been a lot of starting from scratch and half-scratch, but things are moving on.
Now we need you: please visit the eFicition 5 section of the forum and raise your voice, shape the new face of your favourite fanfiction management software.

Author Topic: Status report  (Read 10683 times)

Sue

• Veteran
Re: Status report
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
Whoever has a few minutes to spare, d/l the install from the GitHub and give it a go, let me know if it worked or what went wrong.

Is the UI somewhat user friendly? As they say, nothing worse than an engineer-engineered interface.
Just to be sure, Sheepie - do you mean a clean install (that is, NOT an upgrade)?

I'll try and do an install on the weekend. I'm excited!

Sheepcontrol

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2016, 05:45:47 AM »
No, that was update - sorry.
The fresh install is not quite ready yet, hope to get to that in the next days
I speak the worlds most widely used language: bad english

lucy

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »
Is EFiction 5 ready yet?

Azurite

• Veteran
    • Seventh-Star Network
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
Still very interested in this.
Again, how would Sheepcontrol et al. feel about a Patreon or similar? Give me a PayPal address and I will throw money at it!
Archive: Dragonfayth
eFiction: 3.5.5
Latest Patch(es): Yes
bridged?: No
modified?: Yes
PHP: 5.3.27
MySQL: 5.5.42-cll

holls

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »
I just wanna to say "thank you" for eFiction5, I'm looking forward to it! I'm also following the project on github, every now and then I come to see your commits ;)
Keep up the good work!

banshee

• Administrator
    • retrogression.org
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:47 PM »
OK, so I've been out of action for a few months and wanted to get back into this.

Did you want us to test a live site upgrade?
eFiction Archives: Tom Paris Dorm | Twice Bitten | Underground

KohGeek

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »
I'm genuinely confused by the two version on Github (probably doesn't help that it's 3.30 in the morning when I'm typing this).

Which one should I use? Common sense is telling me to get the 
one named Vaporware.

Sheepcontrol

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 06:44:19 PM »
GitHub has three repositories:

- One for eFiction 3 with latest hotfixes
- One with the eFiction 5 code
- One with the eFiction 5 installer

The last two have been split up because they are not meant to be put out together. Once ready, you will upload the installer files and one package with the eFiction 5 files that the installer will then unpack and put in place, because we all love uploading hundreds of little files. Not!

This will happen once eFiction 5 goes somewhere near alpha - which should be soon-isah. I know this may have sounded like this a few times long ago, but I have decided to make cuts to the initial release, basically keeping it at the functionality of eFiction 3 + some things that are already completed, prepare the database to accept extensions and push as soon as possible.

Currently, it's basicaly missing the last third of story edit, the member preferences stuff which is not too complex, some logging and notification routines and a few checks of the admin panel.

The search function is not a beauty yet, but she can handle things so that'll have to do for a first.
The following users thanked this post: KohGeek

Sheepcontrol

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 10:39:28 PM »
Okay, I decided to adopt the teachings of Pareto and postponed a few of the more exotic and non-essential things.
This has lead to me finally making ground, and after finishing the user preferences page, which should happen soon-ish, there is only some feedback editing stuff in the user panel left and things should be good enough to wrap them together as a first alpha.

I know that things are still rough, the installer is acting like a spoiled brat and sometimes the db load is too high (will implement some cache stuff here), but apart from that it's pretty exciting - and scary.
I never published a program (a) that huge to (b) that many potential users, and yes, sort of scared.

Never the less, going forward, one stumble at a time :)
The following users thanked this post: FP And, erceyazici, Ladama

Tsukasa

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »
Any recent update?

Ladama

• MoreThanThat
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 02:44:29 AM »
Any recent update?
Yes, I am also curious about the status, I think we're all eagerly awaiting, do let us know what we can do to help (testing, donations, etc) and thank you so much for your hard working and keeping the script going!

Sheepcontrol

• Administrator
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:17 PM »
Sadly the last two moths were pretty demanding on the daytime-job and left me rather exhausted.

But there'll be some off-time the next two weeks and I just picked up work again.
Currently working on the installer to allow fresh installs, currently only upgrades are implemented.

anything